Shawn E
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
22388146

2006 Ford Focus: station wagon..vibrate..the car is in idle

Customer Question

What would cause my 2006 Ford Focus station wagon to vibrate? It is far more noticeable when the car is in idle. It has continuously grown worse. The car has had all of its regular upkeep done at the dealership. The most recent was a tune up with new spark plugs. The fuel filtert has been changed according to manufacturer recommendations as has all other maintenance.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn E replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question.

The motor mount on the passenger side between the front engine cover to the body goes bad creating a horrible vibration in the vehicle.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and Bonuses are appreciated. Thank you, Shawn.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would some kind of carbon build up in the engine possibly cause such a condition? My car is under full bumper to bumper warranty for the next 5,000 miles. If it is surely a motor mount it would be covered. I just hate to pay the price of a lot of investigative work, like trying things to see if they do or don't work. I will accept your answer and have the motor mount checked out, if that is your first recommendation.
Expert:  Shawn E replied 3 years ago.

The carbon build up would not do this most of the time with a bad vibration especially at idle it is a mount or the exhaust contacting the body somewhere.

Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience: 23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean by the exhaust contacting the body somewhere? How could that happen? What would I ask the technician at the dealership to check for this problem? I highly suspect you are correct about the motor mount. The front is what vibrates the most, and the problem is at it worst when the car is slowing for a stop or in idle at a stop light or such.
Expert:  Shawn E replied 3 years ago.
Have him replace that motor mount that is common on these. If the exhaust was touching a body part it would send a vibration through out the car I would lean more towards the motor mount.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm on my way to the dealership. Hope the motor mount is the problem. The extended bumper to bumper waranty I paid so much for will cover the cost if that is the problem.
Expert:  Shawn E replied 3 years ago.
Depends on the warranty Ford or aftermarket and the level of coverage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shawn,

I followed your technical advice and had my 2007 Ford Focus SE stationwagon inspected for a problem with the motor mount. They handed me a bill for $119.00 in labor for the diagnosis. All motor mounts are fine. Do you have any more suggestions for me? The car still vibrates. The steering wheel and other car parts shake and rattle mostly when the car is in idle but some of this goes on going down the highway.

Sharon

Expert:  Shawn E replied 3 years ago.

Try this service message from Ford:

FORD:2000-2011 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 10-5-11 to remove the production fix date and update the model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2000-2011 Focus vehicles may exhibit an excessive engine vibration at idle, most noticeable when the transmission is engaged in reverse. This condition may be caused by small stones, road debris, ice or snow packed/lodged in the rear engine roll restrictor.

ACTION:

Inspect the rear engine roll restrictor for debris and install service shield if necessary.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Inspect the rear engine roll restrictor for debris.
  2. Remove any debris from rear engine roll restrictor.
  3. Remove the cross member-to-roll restrictor attachment bolt.
  4. Install service shield. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 11-3-24

5. Install roll restrictor attachment bolt and torque to specification.
    1. 2000-2007 model year vehicles - 47 N-m (35 lb-ft).
    2. 2008-2011 model year vehicles - 70 N-m (52 lb-ft).

PART NUMBERPART NAME
2M5Z-16102-ABService Shield

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME
110324A2000-2011 Focus: Install Service Shield0.3 Hr.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My statement reads "cleaned debree from rar motor mount and balanced tires"

After this service the vehicle still exhibits the afore mentioned problem. Any other suggestions.

Sharon R

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What other information do you need? Correction: It is a 2006 model not 2007. Sorry for the typo.
Expert:  Shawn E replied 3 years ago.
It's hard to diagnose a vibration over a computer. I would of guessed tire balance on the vibration at highway speeds. The vibration at idle is either a characteristic of the vehicle or it could be that front engine mount still. Unfortunately that is a guess and you will need to replace it to know if it was the cause or not.