AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

rough..cylinders..weak acceleration, sputters..check engine light

running very rough, feels like it's missing on a few cylinders. weak acceleration, sputters and also died on me a few times - no check engine light
Hello there!

When was the last time the engine was tuned up? No, not just plugs, but a full tune up! The whole nine yards! Any part of the secondary ignition will do this including the ignition coil or coils! This sounds like a classic ignition misfire! They usually go bad under a load like under acceleration, but can be noticeable at any time. It is very important to have your engine equipped with good tune up parts or you may be causing damage to other components of you car like the catalytic converter which can be expensive!

Possible causes:

Ignition misfire causes by any bad tune up part and or ignition coil or coils.
Bad spark plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor (if equipped)
Wrong tune up parts spark plug, wires etc...

Insulator cracks.
Wear.
Improper gap.
Burned electrodes.
Heavy deposits.

The quickest way to check the ignition components, is by looking closely for leaking secondary voltage. Visual look at all the tune up parts to see if you can see any sparks coming from any of the wires or coil (or coils) when the vehicle is running. If not, you can put your hand on the coil/coils and wires when the engine is running and see if you feel any small voltage leaking form the tune up parts. Check spark plug wires by connecting ohmmeter to ends of each wire in question. If meter reads over 30,000 ohms, replace wire(s).
ALso, with engine running, spray coils and plug wires with fine water mist to check for shorts.

It will leak secondary ignition voltage from the tune up parts caused by high resistance from carbon tracking if they are bad. This is very common if the tune up parts are not changed regularly!

If any is found, the tune up parts are simply bad an will need to be replaced! If none is found than you can spray a mist of water on the tune up parts when the engine is running and see if that causes the engine to stumble or run rough at all. Again, if it does, the tune up parts are bad and will need to be replaced!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great information. I spray washed the engine last night and it made it run significantly worse. These are coils over plugs no wires. Do you think I got one or more of the coils too wet? But why didn't it dry out after driving it all day?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Oops I meant to add comments but accidently hit accept
If moisture get into the spark plug tube, it will take some time to dry up. These are a major problem on this engine. If the tune up parts/coils are misfiring, I would honestly just recommend to replace all of them. I know if it pricey, but if one is bad, chances are the others are on the way out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry I've tried to give you positive feedback twice and tried to give a bonus but the website is having problems. Can you send another response so I can try to reply tomorrow. thanks
Hello!

Thanks for the reply!

Sometimes the web site does things of this nature. I am very sorry... usually if you try back again at a later time it will work.

Let me know if it works this time.

Regards

AMEDEE