Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford Freestar right rear turn signal and brake light doesnt

right rear turn signal and brake light doesn't work. Have changed bulb and socket. no power coming to light socket. where does the wiring run? 2005 ford freestar van.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Are the front lights working properly?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
front lights work but right side is now blinking fast.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most likely cause of the problem you are having is a defective SJB (Smart Junction Box). Before replacing any parts I do recommend proper testing first. If you need I can send test procedures in order to determine the exact cause.

Pinpoint Test G: One Or More Stoplamps Are Inoperative

Normal Operation

The SJB monitors voltage input from the stoplamp switch. When the SJB senses brake pedal application, the SJB sends voltage to the rear lamps. Voltage for the LH and RH rear lamps is supplied through circuits 1363 (WH/RD) and 1365 (GY/LB) respectively. Voltage for the high mounted stoplamp is supplied through circuit 1456 (RD/LB). Ground for the stoplamps is provided through circuit 1205 (BK).

Possible Causes
  • Circuit 1205 (BK) open
  • Circuit 1363 (WH/RD) open
  • Circuit 1365 (GY/LB) open
  • Circuit 1456 (RD/LB) open
  • High mounted stoplamp
  • SJB

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Allm the lights are working except the right brake and turn signal. I have voltage on the tail lamp ( red / white ) but nothing on circuit 1365 on the right side but do have lights on the left side. I can't find the wiring under the vehicle to test. I haven't heard of the SJB. How do I test that?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The SJB (Smart Junction Box) is otherwise known as the interior fuse panel. If you need I can send the test procedures.

Normal Operation

When the multifunction switch is placed in the LH or RH turn positions, the voltage signal sent by the SJB is routed to circuit 2068 (BK/LB). With the multifunction switch in the LH or RH turn positions, the SJB controls the supply voltage to the respective turn lamps which then flash approximately 80 times per minute. The LH front turn lamp is supplied voltage from circuit 1342 (GY/BK). The RH front turn lamp is supplied voltage from circuit 1341 (DB/OG). The LH rear turn lamp is supplied voltage from circuit 1363 (WH/RD). The RH rear turn lamp is supplied voltage from circuit 1365 (GY/LB). The LH signal mirror is supplied voltage from circuit 1546 (PK). The RH signal mirror is supplied voltage from circuit 1547 (RD). Ground for the LH front turn lamp is supplied through circuit 1205 (BK) from the BEC. Ground for the other turn lamps is supplied through circuit 1205 (BK).

Possible Causes
  • Circuit 1205 (BK) open
  • Circuit 1341 (DB/OG) open, short to power or short to ground
  • Circuit 1342 (GY/BK) open, short to power or short to ground
  • Circuit 1363 (WH/RD) open, short to power or short to ground
  • Circuit 1365 (GY/LB) open, short to power or short to ground
  • Circuit 1546 (PK) open, short to power or short to ground
  • Circuit 1547 (RD) open, short to power or short to ground
  • Signal mirror (if equipped)
  • BEC
  • SJB

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
send test procedures and again WHERE DOES THE WIRING RUN for the right rear. Can't check for open circuit if I can't find the wiring. I see it goes up over the wheel well but can't find it coming out anywhere.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Please give me a few moments to upload that information for you. And Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT answer button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just tested the 1205 circuit from a power point in the rear and it isn't the problem. waiting on procedures for test
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
No problem, just click on the green ACCEPT answer button.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still waiting on test procedures. Are they on the way or are you still loading
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
I have sent you the answer to a previous question and the answer was not accepted. Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, and Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work.
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Shawn, just because you send a reply doesn't mean it is an answer to the question. I got no answer and no test procedures like you said you would send. I feel this is just another rip off place. THANKS FOR NOTHING.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much!

Below is the body system wiring diagram, I will keep sending you info as it is available, there seems to be a problem with uploading the information, I will keep trying until you get the info you need.

graphic

Turn Signal, Cornering and Hazard Lamp Test Procedures Click Here

Stoplamp Test Procedures Click Here

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you need anything else, like connector views or anything else replated to this question.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Also I was referring to this previous question a year ago.

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3oizs-does-alternator-2006-focus-2-0-engine.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it did not help but a friend came by that showed me what needed to be done. No need to accept that answer that didn't help.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you need additional info on this one
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is the SJB and is there no way for a home boy to test it. I don't have all the high tech test tool that a shop does
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

LOL! You don't need the high tech equipment, you can use a DVOM to test resistance. The SJB is located under the dash on the driver's side. (see diagram below).

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see what the LOL was for. Can't locate the SJB.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Yes the LOL was for the no way a home boy can test, (no disrespect). The SJB is also known as the interior fuse panel, double check the wiring connector for any signs of corrosion or damage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this the main connector right at the top of the fuse panel
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Yes, The SJB connector view is below.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the test procedures said to test pin 47 but this only shows 27.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The connector view is below.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this shows pin 47 to be the passenger door lock. but no circuit 1365 which is the RH rear turn. I did pull the main connect but all pins looked good but I couldn't tell where to check the ohms. between which pins or wire.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
I see that. What is the build date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
10/04
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry about that. I sent the wrong connector view (d instead of b), (see diagram below).

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if I put voltage to female pin 47 on the connector, should I have light unless the circuit is broken?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is correct
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when it is unplugged, nothing works. If you turn the ignition on to check power at the pin, the head lights come on. Done for the night.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
You will need to stick with the test procedures, You can purchase a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) at most auto parts stores, like Auto Zone for example for less than twenty dollars.

PINPOINT TEST G: ONE OR MORE STOPLAMPS ARE INOPERATIVE
Test Step Result / Action to Take
G1 CHECK CIRCUIT 1205 (BK) FOR AN OPEN
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: Inoperative Stoplamp.
  • Measure the resistance between the inoperative stoplamp connector, harness side and ground as follows:

Inoperative Stoplamp Connector-Pin Circuit
    High mounted stoplamp C475-2 1205 (BK)
    LH rear lamp C412-1 1205 (BK)
    RH rear lamp C415-1 1205 (BK)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to G2.

No
REPAIR the circuit. CLEAR any DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
G2 CHECK THE SUPPLY CIRCUIT TO THE INOPERATIVE STOPLAMP FOR AN OPEN
  • Disconnect: SJB C2280d.
  • Measure the resistance between the inoperative stoplamp connector, harness side and the SJB connector, harness side.

Inoperative Stoplamp Connector-Pin SJB Connector-Pin Circuit
    High mounted stoplamp C475-1 C2280d-39 1456 (RD/LB)
    LH rear lamp C412-3 C2280d-14 1363 (WH/RD)
    RH rear lamp C415-3 C2280d-47 1365 (GY/LB)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to G3.

No
REPAIR the circuit(s) in question. CLEAR any DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
G3 CHECK THE SUPPLY CIRCUIT TO THE INOPERATIVE STOPLAMP FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Measure the resistance between the inoperative stoplamp connector, harness side and ground.

High mounted stoplamp C475-1 1456 (RD/LB)
    LH rear lamp C412-3 1363 (WH/RD)
    RH rear lamp C415-3 1365 (GY/LB)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
  • Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
For the high mounted stoplamp, GO to G4.

For the rear lamp, GO to G5.

No
G4 CHECK THE HIGH MOUNTED STOPLAMP
  • Connect: SJB C2280d.
  • While pressing the brake pedal, measure the voltage between high mounted stoplamp C475-1, circuit 1456 (RD/LB), harness side and ground.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
INSTALL a new high mounted stoplamp. CLEAR any DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
GO to G5.
G5 CHECK FOR SJB OPERATION
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect all the SJB connectors.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion
    • pushed-out pins
  • Connect all the SJB connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
  • Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.
  • Is the concern still present?
Yes
INSTALL a new SJB. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
The system is operating correctly at this time. Concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR any DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Shawn, can you tell me why I get no reading for any of the test procedures on the light that doesn't work or on the one that is working?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
What kind of readings are you getting?