Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

2002 Ford: van..leak..recharged..it with 3.8 pounds of R134a freon

I have a 2002 Ford E150 Waldock conversion van with rear AC. I brought it to a service tech and he said that there was no leak he could find and recharged it with 3.8 pounds of R134a freon. Two days later the system was out of freon and not working. In order to help him out I would like some ideas of where to find the most likely places to start out looking.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

The most common places are where they tapped into the factory lines and ran the add on lines to the rear evaporator. They are known to rub on the frame rail and leaf spring mounts depending on how they ran the lines. The front shaft seal is also known to leak on the compressor and the leak will be behind the compressor hub. The connection for the factory tap is on the drivers side about 1/2 way back on the inner frame rail.