SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

Ford Explorer Sport how to disable a passive alarm system

Customer Question

how to disable a passive alarm system on 1998 ford explorer. the alarm system itself (ie. lights, horn, ect.) are not going off but the theft light in the dash is blinking fast and the car wont start. i believe the alarm system is not recognizing the chip in my key to allow the vehicle to start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for trying just answer.com to help you with your automotive question. I am an active senior master Ford and
Mazda technician. I have chosen your question because it sounds like from your description that I might be able to help you. If
during our conversation I feel like another technician may have more experience with this particular problem I will opt out of the
question and allow all of the other technicians to review the question and assist you, doing so will put your question back on the
board for all to see, do not reply back to me at this time or your question will be removed from the board and will not be answered.
However When I do answer your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate it if you would click on the ACCEPT button so that
I might get credit for the answer and know that you are satisfied!

The Passive anti theft is tied into the PCM and cannot be disabled, I have attached a technical service bulletin that would need to be reviewed upon diagnosis of this problem that you are having. You have a problem with the system that will require repair before the vehicle will be allowed to start.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer but i do not understand what i am supposed to do with the attached document. are you pretty much saying that there is nothing i can do myself and the problem requires me to take it to a mechanic?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, yes because of the need of special diagnostic equipment you will not be able to do any thing on this concern yourself, I attached the document so that you might have an understanding of the complexity of this system for informational purposes only.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do i have to take it specifically to a Ford dealership? is it possible to get the system disabled/by passed so this problem will not occur again?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
I have seen people build off road sand rails and use ford engines and PCM'S that are equipped with very expensive pats bypass systems, that would be the only way!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is the Ford dealership the only shop that will have the equipment to fix this issue?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
Well no, in Arizona which is where I live. You would contact ADS automotive diagnostic services address 6835 w. chandler blvd. phone(NNN) NNN-NNNN they can reprogram the pcm to bypass the PATS system, last I checked in 2006 they charged 800 dollars for the process and another 300 for a special chip that needs to be installed. You would have to send them your pcm and they would program it and send it back to you. Otherwise only the dealer will be able to restore the vehicle to function the way it was designed at the factory
Experience: 18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will the dealer perform the bypass or just reset the system? if they reset is there any kind of garantee that it wont happen again? i had the system reset about 2 months ago but now the problem is popping up again
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
If they had put any parts on the vehicle, the parts would have been guaranteed for 12 months or 12,000 miles. However if you had this done at my dealer, my service manager would take care of you now as you just had it done and it obviously was not repaired correctly. Talk to your service manager and see if he will work with you. and no, the dealer does not have the capability of performing this bypass, it is purely after market!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if i splice and ground the factory alarm disarm wire (green/purple @ driver side kick panel) will this solve my issue? does the fact that my vehicle requires a chip key prevent me from doing this?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does, the PCM in your car is (or needs to be) programmed to each key. If it were that simple then auto thieves could do it very easily!