Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
41577536

Ford F250 Super Duty My 1997 ford f250 7.3 diesel just stopped

My 1997 ford f250 7.3 diesel just stopped and it tries to start but will not.
I have replaced the fuel filter, the glow plugs,and the fuel pump. Is there something
electrical that i'm missing ie; pressure switch,or fuel cutoff.

Thanks,
Larry
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 3 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.

Pavlin Koev :

if you have starting fluid you can pray a bit to see if it wii start, if it does, that will indicate no injector openning.

Pavlin Koev :

use test light to check fuses in engine compartment and instrument panel

Pavlin Koev :

common problem is fuel heater located at fuel bowl, to become loose and short sytem causing to blow fuses #30 and 24

Pavlin Koev :

if you find those fuses blown disconnect red and light green wire from fuel bowl and replace fuses, the try to start.

Pavlin Koev :

you need scan tool to observe ICP pressure. it must go to 500psi for engine to start

Pavlin Koev :

failed ICL sensor or Cam sensor will cause no start

Pavlin Koev :

To work on this engine diagnostic scan tool is a must.

Pavlin Koev :

but check fuses and spray starting fluid first and let me know.

Pavlin Koev :

If I was helful to you please accept, If you have any questions and need me to clarify anything, please ask, Regards Pavlin!

Customer:

There is not a fuse #24 or a #30. We have tried fluid,it will not start.

Customer:

Ther is no #24 or #30 on this truck goes to #22. tried starting fluid it didn't work.

Pavlin Koev :

ok, just a minute to check wiring

Pavlin Koev :

ok, check 22 and 8, is glow plug light commingON

Customer:

Yes it does, i'll check 8 &22

Pavlin Koev :

Do you have access to scan tool. has Camshaft sensor ever being replaced?

Customer:

#8 and #22 are both good. I do not have a scan tool and I don't know where the cam sensor is. When the truck stoped it was just like it was shut of with the key it just stopped.

Pavlin Koev :

there was a recall on cam sensor, very common problem

Pavlin Koev :

i will send you location

Customer:

It was running ok up until that moment.

Pavlin Koev :

it is not expencive, it is about$40 or call dealer you mey qulify for the recall

Pavlin Koev :

but give me few minutes to find you a pictures

Pavlin Koev :

click on the link to see- LINK

Customer:

the fuel pump is new also it also acts like it is not getting fuel, it will fire on a ocasionally, with starting fluid it will sortof fire but not run, sort of acts fuel starved.

Pavlin Koev :

Engine scanning is a must, With scan tool, you can see ICP pressure/Injector pulse, camsensor signal

Pavlin Koev :

But you can try to replace cam sensor as it is very common problem.

Customer:

Is c144 in pic the proper part? I'll check with our local Ford dealer tomorrow.thanks i'll get back with you soon. Larry

Customer:

If i have a faulty new fuel pump can i put an inline elec pump without removeing the mechanical pump.

Pavlin Koev :

yes it is, when you go under truck, it is on passenger side just behind crank pilley on the middle, it is very easy to replace,

Customer:

what about fuel pump question.

Customer:

If I accept now can I continue on with your help.

Pavlin Koev :

if you are satisfied with my answer please click on the accept button, As you are charged but I am not credited, you can always comeback to this chat if you need me to clarify anything for you. Fuel pump you can check, if you do not have pressure test, you can just open fuel filter feed and see if you have good fuel supply.

Pavlin Koev :

starting fluid will start the engine briefly if it was fuel only

Customer:

To replace fuel pump is a pain so again what about about the elec pump.

Pavlin Koev :

if you are thinking about fuel injection pump, this truck does not use one.

Customer:

No a regular inline elec fuel pump, just trying to cover all my bases.

Pavlin Koev :

if you hear pump running, it is working, normal fuel pressure is 50 psi

Customer:

ok I'll let you know how in turns out.

Pavlin Koev :

Sounds good, have a good day!

Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience: 17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE