Brad
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
5135651

2005 FORD ESCAPE: 3.0...A MISFIRE ON #6 CYLINDER..COILS

I AM WORKING ON A 2005 FORD ESCAPE 3.0. IT CAME TO US WITH A P0356 CODE AND A MISFIRE ON #6 CYLINDER. PREVIOUS TO ME WORKING ON THIS, THE 1, 3, 5 COILS HAD BEEN REPLACED. I REPLACED 2, 4, 6 COILS AND ALL SPARK PLUGS. ALSO #6 COIL HAD NO POWER OR SIGNAL FROM ECM. REPLACED ECM AND CAR RUNS GOOD AND NO CODE FOR ABOUT 3,000 MILES. THE CAR NOW HAS INTERMITTENT ROUGH RUNNING, AND CODE P0356 IS SET. AM I MISSING SOMETHING I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR ?
NOTE: THE ECM IS OE, THE COILS DIFFERENT AFTERMARKET, PLUGS AUTOLITE.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

The fix is going to be to replace all six coils with Ford parts (#2M2Z-12029-AC).. and possibly the PCM/ECM again. I would also highly advise replacing the spark plugs with Ford parts as well (#AGSF-32W-M1)

They had a lot of problems with coils failing due to bad/incorrect plugs, and then taking out the PCM on these. Refer to the TSB's posted HERE and HERE.