SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

2000 Expedition: disconnect..the AWD..gas mileage

Customer Question

how to disconnect the AWD on a 2000 Expedition & do i get better gas mileage (now about 12). Also will this stop the front end "growl"
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
Hello tomcat, the all wheel drive is disconnected until it senses that one or more wheels is going faster or slower than the others, then a magnetic clutch engages internal to the transfer case to engage the awd. so you will not get better fuel economy by disconnecting it. However the growl noise may be an axle bearing or transfer case problem, could you possibly describe what it sounds like a little more and is it a continuous noise, intermittent, or random when turning type noise?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
random when turning......Also I just read on another site that you can disconnect the AWD option. They had a switch to engage. I thot this may give me better gas mileage. It's now about 12. Is there a chip that can be changed?????????????
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
You cannot disconnect the AWD without disabling the 4x4 system completely except for cutting the wire at the transfer case that provides power to the magnetic clutch, the only way that the AWD is causing the poor fuel economy and noise is if one or more of your tires are a different size than the others, like you replaced two tires when the other two were worn to 50%. park the vehicle on a flat level surface with the wheels pointed straight, make a chalk mark on the tires where they meet the ground and a corresponding mark on the ground, drive the truck forward till the left front wheel makes one complete revolution and chalk mark is pointing straight down, get out and look at the other marks on the tires and see if they are also pointing straight down, if any one or more tires has a mark that is one inch or more different than another, you will need to replace all of your tires as the different tire sizes are activating your AWD as you are driving.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had that problem I found out the expensive way. It ruined the transfer case. The previous owner had replaced 2 tires of a different size. However the other ?'s were not answered............................Gas mileage & chip.................
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
There is no chip to my knowledge that will disable your AWD. And if the AWD is falsely activating because of different tire sizes then YES, your fuel economy will surely increase by installing tires of the same size on this vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still looking for the answer to gas mileage................Is there something in the computer that can be modified to help gas mileage. Nothing to do with the AWD. Just the poor performance.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
If your AWD is engaging while you are driving and trying to turn four tires of different size at the same speed, it will cause a drive line bind where it take an excessive amount of engine power and (FUEL) to over power the two drive shafts that are going different speeds. The only other things that you can do for improved fuel economy is verify that you have new quality spark plugs, clean fuel filter, clean air filter, and properly inflated (same size) tires. There is nothing specifically that can be done to the computer to improve fuel economy