NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master

Cam position sensor keeps going out every two weeks

Customer Question

Cam position sensor keeps going out every two weeks has been to ford house they just found it bad and a exhaust sensor what powers the module, is it the PCM, or something else. What is leaving me on the side on the road repalce the CMP starts right up I have also replace moved around all relays nothing seems to fix it
Category: Ford
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 3 years ago.
Hi, great question, but.... is there a check engine light and code every time truck dies? If so what code is shown? If code has to do with cam sensor, then replacing the cam sensor may fix worn wiring, temperarily by simply unconnecting and moving the harness, if no code problem is unrelated to the cam sensor, and can be several other possibilities. If no cam sensor code, such as a internal engine oil leak, and time of towing allows components to seal. This will require a high pressur oil system leak check, using special tools to insert air into the system, adjust ipr, and possibly find the cause.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no code and I have pulled part instantly, no oil leaks. Wiring may be a possibility but what about the PCM or is there something else that can be shorting out the sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This morning the motor drug a little one battery was a little weak so I read online that battery system can cause the cam sensor problems. I replaced it on the way back to work it died abruptly, would not start back I put I new sensor on it in the middle of the highway. it would still not start. I towed it in to the parking lot about a hour later I went and cranked on it for a few minutes if finally started back. let it charge for a little bit and shut it off went back to work got off work truck started up I went to take off drove about 1000 yard and it started stalling on me. Started it back up and got it back into the parking lot I put the new sensor that I had put into it last night and it started back up. and ran great all the way home. Shut off the truck when I got home and it would not start back. That is where I am at right now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Need quicker response
Hi, sorry for the delay, so this does not seem like a cam sensor problem, or wiring to the cam sensor, this seems more like an ipr, or icp problem especially if you have to crank for a long time. To really check will need to have a high pressure system test, to see if icp builds up (high pressure oil), if it does not, then shop air needs to be installed in system to check for a leak, if no leaks, the IPR is likely stuck, (injection pressure regulator), or the high pressure oil pump could be a problem, but not likely. Checking oil level is important also.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can not get it to start again and I have fuel pressure

Hi, its not fuel pressure, but high pressure oil that is likely causing the fault. Oil pressure of around 500 psi is needed to inject fuel into the cylinders due to the high combustion pressures. If a leak, or the IPR is not controlling oil pressure correctly, truck will not start at all, if a leak at an injector, likely the truck will not start at all. Since your problem is intermittent, seems like the IPR is stuck, or sensor that reads the pressure is not working correctly, both are located on the pump, in the front of the motor, pump is driven directly off of the crank shaft. Most importantly need to make sure by having a scanner capable of monitoring ipr and icp while cranking when problem happens, the proceed with an air pressure check to see if there is a leak or not. Sounds like expensive testing, but will be much cheaper than just replacing parts, with no fix, or piece of mind of knowing 100% a certain part is at fault. Also, high pressure oil system is internal, if a leak, leaks back into the oil pan or crank case, not on the floor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have pulled the codes would that not show up, ford ran complete diagonistic on the truck and found nothing, other than a bad cam sensor and a exhaust senor.

Not at all times, problem if a leak, or mechanical will not set a code right away, system needs to be checked out when problem is actually happening. Checking codes will only show electronic faults, unless a fault was stored in the past. For example, if one injector is plugged in, but not actually installed on vehicle and codes are checked, it will show no codes, becuase injector is plugged in electrically, even though obviously it will not work if it is not in the cylinder.