Thomas
Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  15 years Ford experience. Gas and Diesel certified. by Ford and ASE
3090273

My check engine light comes on when I accelerate..slow down

Customer Question

My check engine light comes on when I accelerate from 100km/h to about 110, 120 and goes off again once I slow down to 100. What is my problem any information would be appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you today. is your engine running bad? Transmission shift ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Engine idols a bit rough it did since I got it about 2 years ago. Transmission seems to shift perfect. When the engine light comes on and i try to accelerate some more the engine seems to get rough like a heavy vibration.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like you may have a bad ignition coil. Causing the power lose and the check engine light. The only way to know for sure is to have the code pulled. Until we get the codes pulled we are just guessing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can this code be pulled from the vehicle even when it is not staying lit up?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Yes it can be pulled at any time. It stores the code in the engine control module. Here in the US you can go to a autozone parts store and get the code pulled for free. I 'm not sure that me telling you that helps at all. But if you can get the codes pulled and tell me the codes I would be glad to they you why I think the problem is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What trouble can this cause if I keep driving with my truck like this for now until I get a chance to get this code pulled from the engine conrol module.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
If it is a engine miss you will need to get it checked soon, because it could damage the catlatic converter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is not an ignition coil problem what other problems can cause something like this?

I heard of old transmission fluid to cause something like this. My trans fluid is clean but there maybe a chance it could be stail and not sufficent enough for the tans. anymore.

A friend of mine was telling me he had a similar issue with a ford winstar he used to have and the problem kept getting worse and worse and he suddenly lost his transmission. Basically because when ford put it on the computer they never found any codes and never experienced the problem when they test drove it.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
I don't think your transmission fluid is causing your problem, however I would replace the fluid as directed by my owners manual. If you have a transmission problem the O/D light usually blinks to indicate the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As in the over drive light?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
It could just be a speed sensor. Honestly I don't see much problems with them tho. I have had a bad fuel pump cause lose of power and check engine light also. But i have had allot more problems with the ignition coils.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the check engine light flash when you have a bad fuel pump?

(mine flashes until i slow down to 100 and stay at a steady speed and flashes when I accelerate or go up a hill)

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
No but it does flash when you have a engine missfire. Missfire is usually caused by a bad ignition coil.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there only one ignition coil? or 8 for 8 cylinders?

Im guessing plugs wouldnt cause this problem or you would have told me already...lol hopefully

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
You have 8 individual coils it could be your plugs also but there shouldn't be due until 100,000 miles or 160,000km.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is 159xxx km on my truck now
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
I think I would also go ahead and replace the spark plugs. But you do need to get the codes pulled first, so you will know which coil to replace.