SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

Ford Taurus my power steering is leaking out the pump cap

my power steering is leaking out the pump cap with the engine up to tempature.The car is a 1999 tarusus 3.0 . I was wondering if there is a valve that locks the fluid down into the rack.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, after you turn the engine off when the fluid is leaking out is the color of the fluid normal red or is it milky looking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
milky and I have done the purging process of turning the wheel from left to right several times. It doesn't just leak it sprays like a gyser for just a moment. Could you give me any other possiblilties of what could be going on besides purging?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.
I attempted to locate a particular technical service bulletin that was available in early 2000, however ford has removed it from the ford website, This year range of taurus/sable had two different platforms of power steering pumps available, one platform has the p/s pump reservoir mounted directly to the pump, and the other had a remote reservoir that was mounted on the passenger front inner fender. If your vehicle has the platform where the reservoir is mounted on the inner fender then I believe you will need a new reservoir as the return hose that returns the fluid to the reservoir is pointed directly up from the bottom and when the fluid is returning to the reservoir, it is splashed so much that it begins to aerate the fluid with air, as it begins to do this and that air is sent through the system and once again returns to the reservoir it splashes more violently causing more aeration, this process continues till the fluid is almost pink/milky. When you turn the engine off, all of this compressed air in the system expands and creates pressure in the entire system, then expelling it at the only place that is not sealed, which is the cap. Ford developed a different style reservoir to stop this from happening.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ours is mounting directly to the pump. The 8th VIN letter is U. Do you think by changing the pump this would correct problem? I need to know if there is a check valve that keeps the fluid from backing back into the resivore when shutting off. When the engine is running the fluids goes all the way down. When the engine is turned off the fluid goes back to the top of the cap. The fluid is not pink it is still red with foamy on top.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 3 years ago.

There is no check valve to keep the fluid from backing into the reservoir, I suspect that you have a leak in the power steering system that has allowed your fluid level to become low, and by running the pump on low fluid is aerating it. First thing you need to do is examine the entire power steering system for leaks, fluid can also leak out the ends of the rack and pinion that attach to your steering linkage, it would be hard to detect this type of leak as the boots on the ends of the rack would capture the fluid and keep it from hitting the ground. As you said the fluid goes all the way down when you start it, the fluid in the reservoir is immediately displacing air that is trapped in the system. The best way to purge this system after you correct the leak, is to attach a vacuum pump to the reservoir to draw the air out.

Experience: 18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical