John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

Ford F Super Duty Where is the EGR sensor located on my F350

Customer Question

Where is the EGR sensor located on my F350 6.4L deasel
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Tracer :

the code set is for the EGR temp sensor. there is ainlet sensor and outlet. which are you doing? is yours a simple screw in sensor OR a sensor with wire pigtail?

Customer:

It dosent have a pigtail. It is mounted on a bracket with two holes and a ear on the bracket. The sensor has a vaccume line on the bottom.

Tracer :

The code is for the EGR temp Sensor A (#1). Is is located in exhaust pipe. Sending more info next

Customer:

That dosent look like the one I got from ford. I got a small sensor with a one inch long 3/8 OD hose on the bottom.

Tracer :

Unsure what you have. I need to step out so i will opt out and let another expert jump in on this one. One should help shortly.Pls dont respond to me as the next expert will not see the question.

Expert:  John Crouch replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will answer your question. The code that you have is for EGR temp sensor A. there are 2 sensors. Sensor "B" is the one that is in the vertical egr cooler and is very close to the egr valve. Egr temp sensor "B" is in the exhaust pipe that runs up from the passenger side exhaust manifold up to the engine. It has a approximatly 10" wire harness that is a part of the sensor and is connected to the harness and the connector is attached to the mounting bracket for the glow plug control module (silver box with a green and black connector) mounted on top of the rear of the passenger side valve cover. You will need to unplug the connector from above and crawl under the truck to remove the sensor. Most likely the sensor is defective and needs to be replaced, I have yet to have one with the code stored and it was not the sensor and I have done about 25-30 of them over the years. Your local dealer should have one in stock or can have one in 1 business day for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. What dose the EGR sensor B look like? Do I need to replace both sensors if my code is for Sensor A?
It looks a lot like a 02 sensor. You don't have to replace them both. only sensor a which is in the exhaust up pipe.
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles