Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2008 ford: engine light came..I plug in my OBD II code reader it

My 2008 ford fusion engine light came on. When I plug in my OBD II code reader it checks then an E displayes? what could be wrong.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

There is no E codes on your 2008 Fusion and you very likely have a communication error with the code reader. Most part stores will run a scan for you at no charge, all the engine fault codes will be P codes. If you can get the scan done an the actual fault code we can direct you in the correct repair,.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The code is P0171-P0174 which reads a low bank on 1 and 2
In most cases the lean codes P0171 and P0174 are set due to the engine leaking vacuum, take a close look around the intake manifold for any signs of leaking vacuum lines and the PCV supply line as they are known to rot out and leak.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will look at that and get back with you.
In 99% of all cases its a vacuum leak. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked the hoses they all look like new there are a few that have clamps and some that don't is that normal?
Yes that is normal. Did you look at the PCV supply line?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think so where is it's excact location?
Here is a diagram for location. If it looks ok, then I would suspect you may have an intake gasket leaking. I can send you the proper pinpoint test if you are able to do some testing.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had disconnected it from the top and looked at the clamp and PVC hose. It looked good. I was not able to remove or check the connection at the bottom. It looks like a quick disconnect or something like that. I can do some testing depend on what I need to do it.
Take some carb cleaner and carefully spray around that fitting and the intake manifold are while its running. If its leaking it will effect the idle speed. Be very careful with the carb cleaner.I will send the pinpoint test.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did as you said sprayed the carb cleaner arond all fitting. There was no change in the idle of the engine. Does the computer need to be reset or will the light just go off when the problem is corrected?
The computer need to be reset, you can do this by removing the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes. If the car is running correct it may be worth a try, I would also run the fuel pressure test to make sure you have good pressure. (65psi). If the code returns then you will have to run thru the pinpoint tests. It will require a scan tool that can read the data stream.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have disconnect the neg. cable will reconnect and get back with you. I don't have a scan tool is that whats it's called. I can get one from my parts store.
The type of scan tool you will need is not a code reader and unfortunately you looking at several thousand for the right type .Hopefully the light will not reset. You may also want to try cleaning the MAF sensor with some contact cleaner as it can also cause this code to set. The MAF sensor mounts to the air filter housing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The first thing I did was clean the MAF with contact cleaner but I did not reset the computer before I contacted you. I remember on my Ranger I needed to reset the computer after each problem. I reset the computer now and the engine light went out. I hope it stay off. When I took the MAF off and cleaned it there was some paper in the open that I removed that may have been the problem all along as I did not reset the computer when I cleaned it. Hope this solves the problem and I thank you for your help.
You are very likely correct if there was paper in the MAF, I think you may have nailed it. Your very welcome and I thank you as well.