Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

Install camshaft position sensor on E150 van 4.2 liter when it

Customer Question

install camshaft position sensor on E150 van 4.2 liter when it has been move before comingf into shop
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Here is the correct procedure to replace it

Removal and Installation

REMOVAL

CAUTION: Always disconnect the battery ground cable prior to work on the electronic engine controls.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

NOTE: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 mi) or more to relearn the strategy.

1. Partially drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the air cleaner.

1. Disconnect the heater water outlet tube.
    • Disconnect the fuel charging wiring harness from the heater water outlet tube.
    • Remove the heater water outlet tube bolt.
    • Position the heater water outlet tube aside.

1. Remove the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor electrical connector and mark the orientation of the CMP electrical connector.

1. Remove the CMP.
    • Remove the bolts.
    • Remove the CMP from the camshaft synchronizer.

INSTALLATION

Special Tool: Syncro Positioning Tool - T96T-12200-A

CAUTION: Syncro Positioning Tool must be obtained prior to installation of the replacement camshaft synchronizer assembly. Failure to follow this procedure will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage.

1. Install the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor:
    • Position the CMP using the previous orientation mark.
    • Install the CMP bolts.

1. Install the electrical connector.

1. Install the heater water outlet tube.
    • Position the heater water outlet tube.
    • Install the heater water outlet tube bolt.
    • Install the fuel charging wiring harness.
  1. Fill the cooling system.
  2. Install the air cleaner.
  3. Reconnect the battery ground cable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
done that. sensor was removed before it came into shop have no way to know what position connector was in.
before vehicle runs but 340 code
did you set the timing marks as it says ? a po340 code is often a bad dpfe sensor ,,Disconnect the electrical connector from the Delta Pressure Feedback Exhaust Gas Recirculation , sensor. This is the flow sensor for the EGR system. It is a rectangular aluminum sensor with a 3-wire connector mounted at the front of the passenger side valve cover. Drive the vehicle, and see if the P0340 or the bucking problem ever occur with the DPFE sensor disconnected. Ignore any EGR or DPFE sensor- related codes. If the problem never occurs with the DPFE sensor disconnected, replace the DPFE sensor with the updated Black plastic sensor