Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

99 Windstar: The trailing arm bracket under the rear..loose

The trailing arm bracket under the rear of my 99 Windstar has broken loose from the frame of the car. Is this a particularly Windstar problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

This is a common problem on the Windstar and you should contact your Dealer as there is a saftey recall that likely apply to your Windstar.

VEHICLE MAKE/MODEL: MODEL YEAR(S):

Ford/Windstar 1998-2003

MANUFACTURER: Ford Motor Company

MFR'S REPORT DATE: August 26, 2010

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID NUMBER: 10V385000

NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: N/A

COMPONENT: Power Train: Axle Assembly

POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 462750

SUMMARY:
Ford is recalling certain model year 1998-2003 Windstar vehicles manufactured from September 1, 1997 through February 28, 2003 and currently registered or originally sold in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. After many years of vehicle service in these areas, corrosion can weaken the rear axle, making it susceptible to torsional stress. Corrosion and stress can lead to cracks which if undetected can propagate and result in a complete fracture of the axle.

CONSEQUENCE:
A fractured axle can affect vehicle handling and increase the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
As parts become available, dealers will inspect and if necessary install the rear axle reinforcement brackets free of charge. This service will be performed free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or before September 27, 2010. Owners may contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332.

NOTES:
Ford's recall No. is 10S13. Owners may also contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Actually, the car is at the dealer's right now. They say it passed the rust inspection on the actual axle, and they are installing "fixes" on the rear and front axles. But this trailing arm problem they say is different, and they want to charge me $400 to weld it back on. I'm thinking I'd do better to have someone else weld it.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
If its not a rust issue then they are likey correct but you would be ok to weld it if its not rusted off and just broken.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you think the broken trailing arm is solely my financial responsibility?
--They showed it to me, and I think it really is "broken off" and not a result of rusting.
And do you know what a reasonable cost for welding it back on would be?
--They told me they wouldn't do it themselves, but would send it out to a body shop.
And do you think it would be safe to drive it at less than 35mph about .5 mi down the road to a body shop with the trailing arm completely off?

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately if it didnt rust off then yes it going to be on you.. Most welders charge an hourly rate od $35 to $45 per hour and it shouldnt take more than 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours to make the reapir. If the arm is off its not agood idea to drive it as the rear end can shift .
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs