CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

Ford Escape XLT Horn Location or Wiring

Hi, I have a 2008 Ford Escape. The horn is absolutely embarrassing (too soft and high pitched). I bought a new wolo bad boy to replace it. Well, here's the problem... I cannot find the factory horn in the engine bay. Can you provide a diagram as to where it is? Or, can you tell me where the wires are so I can disconnect the old horn and use the new one? Thanks!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

Unfortunatly the horn on the 2008 Ford Escape is in a very odd location. The horn is locaed behind the front bumper below the left front headlamp. The only way to get at the horn is too remove the front bumper.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's the ONLY way? Is it not possible to just cut the wiring going to the horn and reroute it to the new horn and just leave the old horn sitting there?

About the only place you can splice into the wiring would either be off of the interior fuse panel in the cab of the vehicle or possibly the wiring harness that runs behind the left front tire inner splash shield. There is a yellow wire with a red stripe that is the power from the horn pad that you would be looking for. A test light would be best to see if you have the correct wire by pressing the horn and seeing if the light comes on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you are saying that from the fuse panel inside the car in the passenger footwell, I can connect the new horn? But then I would have two functioning horns?

If I can get into the wheel well, would this be the ideal place to do it?

Can you provide any wiring diagrams?

I need to do this in a way where I have to remove minimal parts, especially not the bumper... How would you do it?
The wiring diagrams I have only show the fuse panel, a single wire and the horn. It would not help you because it does not show where the wire runs through. If you were to go to the fuse panel on the inside of the car, you would find the wire, cut the wire which would stop power to the current horn and then you can run a wire to the new horn. There is no easy way around this unfortunatly. Removing the splash shield is failry simple. There are a few screws and small bolts holding the spalsh shield or inner fender liner in that need to be removed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So would you recommend going in from the splash shield or the inside fuse panel?

My recommendation would be the splash shield as you would not have to run a wire through the interior and outside to the horns.

CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great I will do that. Thank you so much for your help!