Thomas
Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  15 years Ford experience. Gas and Diesel certified. by Ford and ASE
3090273

Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT I have an F-250 7.3L Diesel 343,000

I have an F-250 7.3L Diesel 343,000 all good - today she is leaking oil badly from seems between engine & Trans. oil on dipstick reg only 1/8-inch so its virtually gry, Oil pressure gauge still OK but when shes running its leaking badly. There appears to be a seal on the side of the sump is this normally where they leak from?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you today. Look on top of the engine at the high pressure oil pump. This is a common leak on the 7.3L. Ford issued a bulletin for the problem. It leaks on top of the engine and runs out at the back of the engine.ENGINE - 7.3L - EXTERNAL OIL LEAK DIAGNOSIS
FOR 7.3L DIT ENGINES

FORD:
1994-1997 F SUPER DUTY
1995-2003 E SERIES
1999-2003 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
2000-2003 EXCURSION

Article 02-20-4 is being republished in its entirety as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.

ISSUE

The valley in the top of the crankcase has a drain hole machined slightly to the right of center at the rear. Any leak in the "vee" of the engine could result in a drippage down the back of the engine. This leak could be perceived as an oil leak in the rear of the engine including, but not limited to, the rear main crankshaft seal and oil pan gasket.

ACTION

Most oil leaks occur at a seal. Oil flows downhill. Start looking for the leak at the top front of the engine and work toward the rear and then down the back of the block. The majority of suspected main seal leaks are actually oil flowing down the back of the block from the engine valley. The valley in the top of the crankcase has a drain hole machined slightly to the right of center at the rear. Any leak in the "V" of the engine could result in a drippage from the rear crankshaft seal area. The engine receives an ultraviolet leak detector dye in the initial factory oil fill to assist you in leak detection before the first oil change. A black light is required to illuminate the ultraviolet leak detector dye.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Oil leaks flow downhill. Start looking at the top for anything that leaks in the "V" of the drains to the back and down the rear of the engine.

Visually inspect plugs, fittings, and hose clamps for seepage.

There is no high-pressure oil at the head gasket. Replacement of the head gasket seal is not likely to repair a leak.

Check for loose connections and missing "O-ring" seals.

If a leak is suspected at the high-pressure pump, inspect the mounting gasket for imperfections in the seal bead. Replacing the high-pressure pump is not a suitable repair for an oil leak. Replace only the gasket. The gasket is torque sensitive. The correct torque is between 17-19 Lb-ft (23-26 N.m).

A slight film of oil and dust at the junction of the halves of the turbocharger is normal. It does not call for service action unless it is dripping.

A small amount of oil in the intake deposited by the positive crankcase ventilation system is normal.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 15 years Ford experience. Gas and Diesel certified. by Ford and ASE
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Here is the part # XXXXX the replacement o -ring and a picture of where they leak from.graphicgraphic
NOTE BEFORE PERFORMING THE REPAIR PROCEDURE, MAKE SURE THAT THE CAUSE OF THE LEAK IS CLEARLY ESTABLISHED.

NOTE FOR E-SERIES AND F650/750 VEHICLES, FOLLOW THE PROPER HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP ACCESS PROCEDURE IN THIS DOCUMENT FOR ACCESS TO THE HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP.

NOTE FOR SUPER DUTY AND EXCURSION, PROCEED TO 0-RING SEAL REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE.

WARNING DO NOT REMOVE OR ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A LEAK AT THE PLUG PICTURED IN LOWER LEFT CORNER OF FIGURE 1, OR DAMAGE TO THE PUMP WILL RESULT.

1998-2003 E-SERIES HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP ACCESS PROCEDURE (DISASSEMBLY)

1.Remove the Intake Air Resonator. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 in the appropriate Workshop Manual.

2.Remove the exhaust back pressure sensor.

a.Disconnect the exhaust back pressure sensor electrical connector.

b.Remove the exhaust back pressure sensor.

3.Remove the high pressure oil pump reservoir. For additional information, refer to Section 303-04 in the appropriate Workshop Manual.

WARNING SMOKING OR OPEN FLAME OF ANY TYPE MUST NOT BE PRESENT WHEN WORKING NEAR FUEL VAPOR.

CAUTION THE FUEL SYSTEM CONTAINS PRESSURIZED FUEL AFTER THE VEHICLE IS SHUT DOWN AND WILL MAINTAIN THIS PRESSURE FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

4.Open the fuel/water separator drain valve to release fuel pressure. Completely drain the fuel filter/water separator assembly.

5.Disconnect the fuel supply and fuel return lines from the fuel filter/water separator.

6.Disconnect the two (2) cylinder head fuel supply lines from the fuel filter/water separator.

7.Disconnect the fuel filter/water separator electrical connector.

8.Disconnect the fuel drain tube and cable and remove the fuel filter/water separator assembly.

2000-2003 F6501750 HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP ACCESS PROCEDURE (DISASSEMBLY)

1.Position the coolant expansion tank out of the way.

2.Remove the retainer from the RH side of the coolant expansion tank support rod.

3.Remove the turbocharger inlet pipe.

4.Remove air cleaner assembly.

5.Remove the engine air cleaner support bracket.

6.Disconnect the engine oil temperature (EOT) sensor.

(ALL VEHICLES) HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP 0-RING SEAL REPLACEMENT

1.Prepare to collect engine oil from the back of the high-pressure oil pump in the valley area of the engine.

2.Remove end plug from port. Remove and discard 0-ring.

NOTE OIL WILL CONTINUE TO FLOW OUT OF PORT. USE A RAG OR SUITABLE CONTAINER TO COLLECT OIL.

3.Remove both high-pressure oil hoses at both fittings on the pump using Rotunda Essential Tool 303-625 (Quick Disconnect Tool).

4.Remove both discharge fittings from the pump. Remove and discard the 0-rings.

5.Remove spring and check assemblies with needle nose pliers.

6.Clean fittings and ports with a commercially available brake cleaning product.

NOTE BE SURE BOTH PORTS IN THE PUMP HOUSING ARE CLEAN AND DRY.

7.Install spring and check valve assemblies.

8.Install 0-rings on both fittings.

9.Apply Loctite 680 Sealant to only the first three threads on both discharge fittings.

10.Install both discharge fittings to the pump housing and torque to 34 N.m (25 lb-ft).

11.Install both high-pressure hoses.

12.Clean end plug port with a commercially available brake cleaning product. Be sure plug is clean. and dry.

13.Install new 0-ring on end plug.

14.Apply Loctite 680 to the first three (3) threads of end plug.

NOTE WIPE OIL FROM PORT IMMEDIATELY BEFORE INSTALLATION OF THE PLUG. PRESENCE OF OIL WILL NOT ALLOW LOCTITE TO SEAL.

15.Install end plug into pump housing and torque to 34 N.m (25 lb-ft).

1998-2003 E-SERIES (REASSEMBLY)

WARNING CLEAN ALL FUEL RESIDUE FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY AND/OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE.

1.Position the fuel filter/water separator in the vehicle. and connect the fuel drain tube and cable.

2.Connect the fuel filter/water separator electrical connector.

3.Connect the two (2) cylinder head fuel supply lines to the fuel filter/water separator.

4.Connect the fuel supply and fuel return lines to the fuel filter/water separator.

5.Install the high pressure oil pump reservoir. For additional information, refer to Section 303-04 in the appropriate Workshop Manual.

6.Install the exhaust back pressure sensor.

7.Connect the exhaust back pressure sensor electrical connector.

8.Install the Intake Air Resonator. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 in the appropriate Workshop Manual.

9.Start engine and check for leaks. Check and correct oil level.

2000-2003 F650/750 (REASSEMBLY)

1.Connect the engine oil temperature (EOT) sensor.

2.Install the engine air cleaner support bracket. Torque the air cleaner to engine mounting nuts to 28 N.m (21 lb-ft).

3.Install air cleaner housing assembly. Torque the air cleaner housing mounting bolts to 12 N.m (9 lb-ft).

4.Install the turbocharger inlet pipe.

5.Install the retainer to the RH side of the coolant expansion tank support rod. Torque nut and bolt to 133 N.m (98 lb-ft).

6.Return the coolant expansion tank to its proper position.

a.Torque the coolant expansion tank mounting bolts to 7 N~m (62 lb-in).

b.Torque the coolant expansion tank mounting nuts to 11 N.m (97 lb-in).

7.Start engine and check for leaks. Check and correct oil level.

FINAL CHECK (ALL VEHICLES)

1.Start engine and check for oil leaks. Check and correct the engine oil level.