Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL

Ford F 250 why wont it cold start when all glow plugs are

Customer Question

why wont it cold start when all glow plugs are working
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX glow plug relay is the most common problem on these, have you checked for power on each glow plug, when the wait to start lite is on ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pulled all 8 replaced 1 doublechecked after with test light
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.

how did you check them with a test light?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
for 12 volt coming from relay
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
did you check them at the glowplug or at the valve cover?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
at the valve cover but I checked them manually one by one by hand and found one bad and replaced it I thought about the switch (key) malfunctioning is why I rechecked at valve cover
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
did you replace the val;ve cover gaskets when you did the glow plug, these are famous for shorting internally and causing no power to the glow plugs, remove the valve covers and check for power at each glow plug, if there is no power at any of them, then replace the valve cover gaskets, we wont do glow plugs with out replacing the valve cover gaskets,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you saying that the valve cover gasket provides the ground if not what do they do
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
the glow plug wiring goes through the gasket as does the injector wiring, the harness is built into the gasket
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Tim, my glow plugs are in the head not the valve cover
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, i misread the year on this, did you check the glow plugs for being open? you do this by putting the test light ground on the positive battery terminal, then remove the connetor at the glow plug, and touch the end of the glow plug with the test light, the light shoild come on, this verifys the ground to the glow plug, have you done this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
then if there is power to the glow plugs and all show ggod ground, then it has to be a mechanical problem, but first, how long does the wait to start lite come on? and does it start right up when you have the block heater plugged in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
start light for 3-5 secs. block heater changed nothing but if it helps out at the grill where the air intake attatches 1 short shot of ether will get her fired every time
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
there is a tsb for this problem that invoves installing a resistor at the glow plug module, the light should be on longer, i will post the service bulletin below,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Engine - Hard Starting/Long Cranking Time
90ford47
Article No. 90-26-11
HARD STARTING - 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE - LONG CRANKING TIME
LIGHT TRUCK:1988-90 E-250, E-350, F SUPER DUTY, F-250, F-350
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the procedure listed in method # X. The ignition must be in the "ON" position.

ISSUE:Hard starting and long cranking time of more than five (5) seconds may occur if the "WAIT TO START" light turns off too early. This may be caused by the strategy of the electronic glow plug control module or by the resistor bar on the electronic glow plug control module.

ACTION:Install a resistor bar kit (E9TZ-12B602-A) on the electronic glow plug control module or replace the glow plug control module (FOTZ-12B533-A). Refer to the following procedure for service details.
Figure 1

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

32 DEGREES F AND BELOW

For trucks built before 11/89 only, install a resistor bar kit (E9TZ-12B602-A) on the electronic glow plug control module, Figure 1.

NOTE:TRUCKS BUILT FROM 11/89 THROUGH THE END OF THE 1990 MODEL YEAR ALREADY HAVE THIS RESISTOR BAR INSTALLED.

This resistor bar kit causes an increase in the glow plug temperature before the "WAIT TO START" light turning off.

32 DEGREES F AND ABOVE

For trucks built before the 1991 model year, replace the electronic glow plug control module (FOTZ-12B533-A), Figure 1. This module is located behind the Crankcase Depression Regulator held on with two (2) bolts.

NOTE:THE 1991 MODELS ALREADY HAVE THIS MODULE INSTALLED.

This module increases the "ON" time of the "WAIT TO START" light.
ALTERNATIVE ACTION TO INSTALLING ELECTRONIC GLOW PLUG CONTROL MODULE

An alternative action to installing the module is described below. This alternative requires a modification to the starting instructions outlined in the Owner's Guide, 7.3L Diesel Supplement.

32 DEGREES F AND ABOVE

For trucks built before 11/89, install the resistor bar kit (E9TZ-12B602-A).

For all affected 1988-90 trucks, disregard the "WAIT TO START" on the dash and use any of the following methods during starting.

Method # X

^Insert key

^Turn the dome light on.
^Turn key to the "ON" position. (The dome lamp will visibly dim.)
^When the dome lamp brightens again, depress the accelerator pedal and engage the starter as specified in the Owner's Guide.
^Turn the dome lamp off.

Method # X

^Insert key.

^Turn off the radio, fan, and other sound generating accessories.
^Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position.
^Wait until the intermittent "clicking" of the glow plug control module is heard.
^Depress the accelerator pedal and engage the starter as specified in the Owner's Guide.

Method # X

^Insert key.

^Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position.
^Wait until the 'WAIT TO START" light goes off.
^Count to five.
NOTE:INSTALLATION OF THE GLOW PLUG MODULE (FOTZ-12B533-A) WILL NOT DECREASE CRANK TIME BELOW THAT ACHIEVED BY ANY OF THE THREE METHODS JUST DESCRIBED.

The resistor bar kit and the electronic glow plug control module cause the "WAIT TO START" light to remain "on" for a longer time. Installing them will allow the customer to follow the starting instructions outlined in the Owner's Guide, 7.3L Diesel Supplement and bring the starting time to a more acceptable level.

If the hard starting condition continues, perform the following checks to rule out other possible causes of excessive cranking time. Refor to the 1988/90 Engine/Emissions Diagnosis Manual, Section 20, for service details.

OTHER ITEMS TO CHECK

^Make sure that the battery voltage is a minimum of 12.5 volts. (Reading taken at either battery.)
^Check the voltage supply from the glow plug control module to the glow plug system. The minimum value should be 7 volts. If there is less than 7 volts, check the fusible link and/or service wiring.

^Make a resistance check on all the glow plugs (0.4 - 0.6 ohms). If they are not within specification, replace them as required.
^Make sure that only good quality fuel is used.
^ Make sure that there are no fuel system suction side air leaks. PART NUMBER PART NAME CLASS

E9TZ-12B602-A Resistor Bar Kit B FOTZ-12B533-A Electronic Glow Plug Control BModule

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:88-9-13
SUPERSEDES:90-24-11
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME 902611A Diagnose & Install Resistor 0.9 Hr. - E Series 902611A Diagnose & Install Resistor 0.8 Hr. - F Series 902611B Diagnose & Install Module - 1.0 Hr. E Series 902611B Diagnose & Install Module - 0.9 Hr. F SeriesDEALER CODINGBASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE 12B602 53 OASIS CODES: 602300

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im in s.ga and its hot already and it also keeps sending intemittant voltage til it stops clicking I found out with test light for about 5 additional seconds akso have preheated 3 times and tried with same result. I'm thinking can the injector or inj.pump cause a loss of prime on the last down turn in tne fuel line above the injectors ie lose prime
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
usually not, does it start fine once its warmed up, and only does when its a cold start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
then you need to run a compression check on it next, its about the only thing that will cause a hard start cold, except the glow plugs, how many miles does this have on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
190000 actual bought it from retired uncle
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
I would check the compressiom if one or more of the cylinders are under 300 psi, this will cause the hard start cold,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Tim, later

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
anytime my friend, let me know what you find,Tim