Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Ford 500 I have a 2006 Ford 500 and the air conditioning doesnt

I have a 2006 Ford 500 and the air conditioning doesn't work when you are idling. Does that mean the compressor is out?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

If your air conditioning in not working, or working but not up to par, there can be a few different things that can cause this. There can be anything from restrictions in the system to your blend air door vents not working properly. First and foremost is look to see if your compressor is coming on. If all of your freon has leaked out or even if the freon level is a bit low, the computer will not turn on the compressor. This is to prevent damage to the compressor and the components. This is very common! If the compressor is cycling on and off, than the system is just slightly low on freon. This will cause the AC to work, but poorly. Look for moisture around the outside of the AC fittings. This will indicate a leak. If no moisture is detected, you might just be able to get away with recharge.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I thought it was freon, but the freon level was full. The freon was removed and replaced. It was checked for leaks. I can't understand why it will cool when you are driving and quits when you are idling. I had it looked at twice and they couldn't find anything wrong and finally said maybe I needed to replace the compressor. I hate to buy another compressor and then that one go bad. I read on line that other Ford 500's had this problem with the A/C.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Does the compressor run when this problem happens or does it turn off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think it turns off.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

It it turns off, then chances are you have an electrical issue. You could have a bad AC pressure switch or even a bad evap temp sensor.

If the compressor continues to run, then chances are the compressor is bad or you have a restriction in your AC system causing this problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am pretty sre that the temp sensor has been replaced and that didn't correct the problem. I don't know about the AC pressure switch. The sensor was replaced after the ford mechanic keep the car and then drove it to pick up parts and left it running, when he came out, the air wasn't working so he put it on a scan and it said the temp sensor but that did not fix it. What is involved in replacing the pressure switch and do you know how expensive that is? I was told it would cost me around $900.00 to replace the compressor...does that sound reasonable?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
YES.. the price for the compressor sounds fair. However, a pressure switch is much cheaper. You might want to start there..