EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ford Ranger 2000 ford ranger spare tire lock frozen. Have

Customer Question

2000 ford ranger spare tire lock frozen. Have the key but can't get cylinder to turn. Key fits into key hole easy. have sprayed WD-40 and a kind of nut buster spray from the auto parts place. Can at home. Still can't get to open. What to do without drilling?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 years ago.

Eric :

Hi. You have the lock thats in the bumper right? Not all the way down in the tube?

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

It is just below the tailgate and above the bumper in the center of the truck. Above the license plate

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

It is in the slot to lower the spare tire.

Eric :

Ok. I think I have done this before. If you look up under the bumper, or in between the bumper and tail gate, you can see the black tube that the tool would go into to. Can you see the tube I mean?

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

no the lock is in the slot. You can't see it from under the truck either because of a cove over the spare tire. I don't think the spare has ever been off. it looks new.

Eric :

I know the lock is in the bumper. that doesn't matter

Eric :

Do you have the tool to lower the tire built?

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

yes

Eric :

I think you can slide that tool in between the bumper and the body and you can try to get it into the tube that it needs to go into to get to the lowering mechanism.

Eric :

Its kind of hard to exlpain but I'll try my best

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

No the whole point of the lock is so you can't do that. The lock keeps you from being able to use the tool. The lock cylinder is frozen.

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

The is no extra room to get to it.

Eric :

I realize the lock is so you can do that. but I am pretty sure it can be done.

Eric :

When the lock is removed there is just a hole in the bumper. then there is a plastic black tube that guides the tool into the lowering slot.

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

nope .

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

nope there is no space.

Eric :

Then your going to have to drill yet. But I would bet that I was able to get that tool into the slot by using a little force.

Eric :

Maybe it was a different style vehicle I am thinking of. But that is the only way that it could be done.

Eric :

Unless you want to take the bed off.

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

My question is how to get the lock unfrozen.

Eric :

Like you already tried, I would just have to keep using a lube and possible letting it soak over a few days and keep trying it easily. But the tumblers inside the cylinder are so small, when there is corrosion they never free up easy.

JACUSTOMER-0kn450ae- :

??

The tumblers are tumblers are working the cylinder just won't turn.

Eric :

When a key is inserted the tumblers have to line up so the lock can turn. every lock with a key works that way.

Eric :

Essentially if you want that lock out, you either have to work it for a while with some lube, or drill it.

Eric :

Or slide hammer the lock out.