Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford F350 SuperDuty Pickup 4x4 2001 f350 7.3 overdrive light

Customer Question

2001 f350 7.3 overdrive light flashing slips when shift
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer..

You must get a scan tool hooked up which can read and show the stored transmission codes. There are about 60 different codes all meaning something different. I would need to know which shift or which gear is harsh or delayed or slipping to help pinpoint the concern not knowing the codes. Anytime the OD light flashes the computer is going to boost the line pressure to max to try and save the transmission till you get it to a shop to prevent more damage from normal pressure with a damaged clutch.

• I am glad you decided to come to Just Answer to ask the techs here a question.
  • I hope you found my answer helpful and with the detail you needed.
  • In the event you did find my answer satisfactory, please press the ACCEPT button.
  • This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and to get credit on this post.
  • In the event you need more clarification, or need a little more info on the concern, please do not hesitate to just press REPLY and post a few more comments
  • Your question will not close in the event you have already pressed accept, and you will still have the opportunity to reply if needed.
  • Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks i didnt know there were that many codes i hooked my reader up and it didnt show anything it must be my reader isnt good enough thanks
Thats correct, you need a better scan tool, once you can get these codes to me, I can better assist.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello moose i recently asked about my truck its a 2001 superduty i hv cleared all the codes but one it says pcm 605 but once cleared i put new batteries in and cleared the codes but this one will not go away the trans still doesnt shift perfct and the overdrive light flashes sometimes but i am able to drive the truck

If the OD light is flashing then this still means there are trans codes and apparently the tool your using does not have transmission capability.

P0605 means there is a internal PCM read only memory error. This is a common code if your using a programmer or chip. If your not then you need to have your local dealership reprogram the PCM and if the code returns a new PCM is needed.