Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

2000 Taurus: Drivers side..goes down..Battery went dead, recharged it

2000 Taurus. Drivers side power window goes down not up. Battery went dead, recharged it, now all windows do not operate. Have trouble identifying fuse or relay involved.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective accessory delay relay, which is located in the CJB (Central Junction Box) If you need I can also send test procedures.
graphic

Power Window Control

The one-touch down (OTD) power window function allows the driver door window glass to completely lower with one button press. The driver window control switch is hardwired to the generic electronic module (GEM) and door window regulator and motor. When the GEM senses a one-touch down request from the driver window control switch, the GEM supplies a ground to the OTD Relay coil. The OTD relay then provides power to the driver window regulator motor, lowering the window. The OTD feature will function when the ignition switch is in the RUN or ACC position. The OTD feature also operates while the ignition is OFF and the accessory delay time-out period has not expired.

The rear window defrost switch is hardwired to the GEM. When the switch is engaged and the ignition switch is in the RUN position, the GEM supplies a ground signal to the rear window defrost relay closing the relay contacts. This supplies power to the rear window defrost element and the indicator on the rear window defrost switch. The GEM will maintain the ground signal for 10 minutes or until the switch is selected OFF or the ignition switch is turned to OFF or ACC.

Power and ground are supplied for the driver front window operation by the GEM. All power and ground for passenger windows is supplied through the window control switches.

Delayed Accessory Power

The delayed accessory power feature controls power to certain accessories in a vehicle referred to as Delayed Accessories. For 10 minutes after the ignition has been in the OFF position and while the driver or passenger front door remains closed, this feature allows the delayed accessories to be powered. This is referred to as the Delay Accessory Period. The customer can continue to open/close the windows during the Delayed Accessory Period or until one of the doors is opened. The Delayed Accessory Feature also turns off power to the accessory while the vehicle is starting to prevent excessive battery drainage.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks. If you need more help then let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is this GEM located and how do I test/replace it?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the ACCEPT!

The accessory delay relay is located in the interior fuse panel. The GEM is mounted on the back side of the fuse panel (see diagram below).

Generic Electronic Module (GEM) Replacement Instructions Click Here

Power Window Test Procedures Click here

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here