Eric N
Eric N, Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified

2001 F250: 4WD..super duty with a V10..chain..starter motor

Customer Question

I am removing the transmission from a 2001 F250 4WD super duty with a V10. I have a transmission jack beneath the transmission, secured with a strap and a chain. I've removed the drive shafts, the electrical connections, and the starter motor. I drained the fluids. I removed 8 bolts from the transmission where it attaches to the engine. I think all the connections are disconnected, and I'm getting ready to pull the transmission back and then lower it down. It doesn't seem to want to pull back very easily. I've never done this before, so rather than putting some muscle on it and breaking something I decided to double check first. Here are my questions:
1) how many bolts hold the transmission to the engine?
2) how difficult should it be to pull the transmission out once its not bolted together?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric N replied 3 years ago.

Eric :

Hi. It sounds like you forgot to remove the torque converter bolts.

Customer:

Eric,

Customer:

Yes, I think you are correct. I am using a Haines manual along with asking questions. I missed the Torque Converter bolts. In the manula it states there are 4, and that I will need to rotate the drive shaft to bring them into position to remove. I don't remember seeing anything that looked like the illustration in the book.

Customer:

Do you have a diagram that shows the torque converter and its relationship to the transmission? That would be very helpful for me.

Customer:

Thanks!

Eric :

Ok. Here are two pictures of the access plug and of the nuts. There are 6 nuts on the v10. Use a socket and wratchet and spin the engine over from the crankshaft bolt to line up each nut in the access hole.

Eric :

I will also leave you the complete shop manual instructions for transmission removal.

Eric :

CLICK HERE for instructions.

Eric :

Thanks for using Just Answer and please remember to click ACCEPT! Thank you!

Eric N, Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Help! I removed the flex plate inspection cover. I was able to remove one not from the torque converter. I moved the torque convert counter clock wise when I removed the nut. I haven't been able to move the torque converter at all since I removed the nut from the one bolt that is visible in the opening where the inspection plate is missing. I have turned the drive shafts both directions- nothing happens at the torqu converter- it remains still. I can see two bolts with nuts: the bolt from which I removed a nut is at 6o'clock, there are bolts with nuts at 3:30 and 8:30. I haven't been able to find all of the bolts holding the upper metal plate in place. If I could remove that plate I could get at the bolts and nuts I can see. If I could make the torque converter spin in either direction I would have access to the bolts and nuts. I did remove the access hole cover; that did nothing for me. from that opening all I see is the side of the torque converter drum.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cancel the last question- I managed to figure it out myself.
Thanks anyhow.

Randy