Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford E250 Econoline 1998 ford e250 4.2L has codes P0402 and

Customer Question

1998 ford e250 4.2L has codes P0402 and P0305. Engine runs good and doesnt miss. Need help with P0402. Cleared codes and ran engine. Check engine light does not come back on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

In most cases the code P0402 is set due to a faulty DPFE (egr pressure sensor) and the fix is to replace it.

The Differential Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor is located at the right side of the engine.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought you were going to say that. It does have the old aluminum housing type on it. I think the new ones are made different. Would this have anything to do with the p0305 misfire by chance? The van has 131,000 miles and has the original plugs and wires.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Yes the new updated one is the one to replace it with, a bad DPFE usually dosnt cause a engine misfire. That is usually caused by a spark plug and or the boot .
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Ron, I just put new plugs and wires from ford and road tested. The code P0305 came back but it's not missing. Any ideas? Do I need to ask this as a new question? Please help.

thanks

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

No I can help you, If you are sure its not missing and no vacuum leaks, I would consider having the PCM updated with the latest sofeware.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Ron, I updated the pcm and the P0305 code came back. Any suggestions on what to try next?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
If the code is coming back then you have to have a problem on the #5 cylinder . is the engine actualy misfiring.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, it runs good it seems. Revs up good and doesnt shake at all. Drove van to have all monitors reset and I happen to hard accelerate and the light came on. Not sure if I need to put a coil on it or what to do.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
In most cases if the coil was bad it would be missing. I would go back and make sure its not a leaking intake gasket, the 4.2 has many known issues with the intake leaking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
noticed coolant level low and sprayed starting fluid around intake. Could not hear a difference. When you say intake leaking do you mean coolant leaking into cylinder? Engine is hot and water is coming out of exhaust when I get on it. Doesnt smell like coolant though.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
If you loosing coolant then its most likely a head gasket or the head.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Ron, Just wanted to let you know I put a coil on it and that fixed it. Doesnt make sense because it runs the same. Road tested and all the monitors were ok.

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Great to hear. Thank you very much