Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

My car is making a humming noise from the tires when I accelerate

My car is making a humming noise from the tires when I accelerate it gets louder and when I decelerate to a stop it gets louder til I stop. What could it be
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
This is usually caused by a bad wheel bearing, there is a possibility that there is a bad tire that is chopped up so I would check that first, if they seem to be smooth the problem is a wheel bearing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What would cause the wheel bearing to go bad?
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
They go bad all the time, age and mileage is the most common cause, hitting big pot holes can cause them to go bad as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My car has 21000 miles on it and would that be covered under warrenty?
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Yes it probably is but you would need to check with your local dealer to be sure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you dont think it is the tire because it only has about 4 left on the tire.
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
I do not understand what you mean by it has 4 left on the tire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I measured the thread left on the tire and there is only 4 left is what the gauge had said
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Oh ok, the only reason the tires would make the noise is if they are chopped, which if you move you hand of the tread feels like a wash board if you do not feel this the tires are not likely the problem,.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So more than likely its the wheel bearing.
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Yes if the tires are smooth feeling
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, how can you tell which bearing is bad?
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
You would need to raise the vehicle off the ground and spin each wheel and you should be able to hear the rough bearing and if you keep one hand on the suspension you can usually feel the roughness.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it is easy to find out which is bad?
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Usually it is pretty easy, on occasion it is hard to determine the one that is bad.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic