john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

1997 ford windstar: the ingnition switch..freely..small pin..key hole

How do I replace the ingnition switch on a 1997 ford windstar it I can not turn the switch to RUN? The outer part of the switch spins freely. I saw a small pin fall into the key hole noe key will not go in all the way.
Thanks tommy

Hi I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.
john aka eauto

are we talking the key switch?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. The following procedure applies to vehicles in which the ignition switch lock cylinder is inoperative and the ignition switch lock cylinder cannot be rotated due to a lost or broken key, unknown key number, or a cap that has been damaged or broken to the extent that the ignition switch lock cylinder cannot be rotated. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Using channel lock or vise grip pliers twist cap until it separates from the ignition switch lock cylinder.
  3. Using a 3/8-inch diameter drill, drill down middle of ignition lock key slot approximately 44 mm (1-3/4 inch) until ignition switch lock cylinder breaks loose from breakaway base of ignition switch lock cylinder. Remove ignition switch lock cylinder and drill shavings from steering column lock cylinder housing.
  4. Remove bearing retainer, steering column lock housing bearing and steering column lock gear. Thoroughly clean all drill shavings and other foreign materials from casting.
  5. Carefully inspect steering column lock cylinder housing for damage from the above operation. If damage is apparent, steering column lock cylinder housing must be replaced.

1. Replace steering column lock cylinder housing, if damaged.
  2. Install steering column lock gear, steering column lock housing bearing and bearing retainer.
  3. Install trim and electrical parts.
  4. Install new ignition switch lock cylinder.
  5. Connect battery ground cable.
  6. Check operation of ignition switch lock cylinder.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the installation complicated? Is there I good chance I could mess something else up with this removal procedure?
pretty basic ...follow the instructions and you should be fine