Steve Jensen
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience
17024452

94 Ford Tempo: The distributor..taken apart..serviced..diagrams

Customer Question

The distributor in my 94 Ford Tempo needs to be taken apart and serviced. i cannot find any diagrams or info on this anywhere... can u help///
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve Jensen replied 3 years ago.

Steve Jensen :

Removal

NOTE: Do not attempt to replace stator without an arbor press.

1. Using a screwdriver, remove distributor cap, position the cap and wires aside so as not to interfere with work area. Disconnect distributor from harness.
  1. Remove distributor from engine as outlined.
  1. Remove rotor.
  1. Remove two screws holding ICM to the base, if equipped.
  1. Remove ICM, if equipped. Wipe grease from base and ICM, keeping surfaces free of dirt.

NOTE: Hold gear to loosen armature screws. Do not hold armature.

1. Remove two screws holding armature and remove armature.
  1. To ease assembly, mark armature and gear with a felt tip pen, to note orientation.
  1. Remove and discard pin in gear.
  1. Invert distributor and place in Axle Bearing/Seal Plate T75L-1165-B, and press off gear using the Pinion Bearing Cone Remover D79L-4621-A or equivalent.
  1. Remove thrust washer.

Steve Jensen :

Full Size Image

Steve Jensen :
  1. Deburr and polish shaft with emery paper and wipe such that shaft slides out freely from distributor base.
  1. Remove shaft assembly.
  1. Remove two stator assembly screws and retain.
  1. Remove octane rod retaining screw and octane rod.
  1. Remove stator assembly from top of bowl.
  1. Inspect base bushing for wear or signs of excess heat concentration. Replace complete distributor assembly if damaged.
  1. Inspect base O-ring for cuts or damage and replace O-ring if necessary.
  1. Inspect base for cracks and wear. Replace complete distributor assembly if damage is found.

Steve Jensen :

Full Size Image

Steve Jensen :

Assembly and Installation

1. Place stator assembly over bushing and press down to seat.
  1. Place stator connector in position. Tab should fit in notch on base with fastening eyelets aligned with screw holes.
  1. Position wires away from moving parts.
  1. Install two stator screws and tighten to 1.7-4.0 Nm (15-35 lb-in).
  1. Install octane rod and retaining screw. Tighten to 1.7-4.0 Nm (15-35 lb-in).
  1. Apply a light coat of Motor Oil XO-10W30-QSP (ESE-M2C153-E) or equivalent to distributor shaft below armature.
  1. Insert shaft through base bushing.
  1. Install thrust washer.
  1. Place a 1/2-inch deep well socket over shaft, invert and place on arbor plate.

Steve Jensen :

Full Size Image

Steve Jensen :
  1. Place the distributor gear on shaft end. Line up the mark on armature and gear.

NOTE: The hole in the shaft and gear must be lined up as accurately as possible to ensure ease of roll pin insertion.

1. Place a 5/8-inch deep well socket over the shaft and gear. Press gear to align with original drill hole.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] CAUTION: If gear is damaged, do not replace gear, as serious engine damage may result. Replace complete distributor assembly.

NOTE: If the gear holes do not align, the gear must be removed and installed. A drift punch will not align the holes.

Steve Jensen :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-bol9jm7v- :

SORRY, TAKING ME A LIL TIME TO GO THRU...

Steve Jensen :

I've done many of these over the years, until you have done a few, it is difficult to realign the gear when pressing it back onto the shaft. If you break the gear you can't get a new one to my knowledge. In the long run it is probably better to buy a remanufactured distributor. Steve

Customer :

my funds are extremely limited, so i have to give this a shot. i was trying to remove the shaft to replace the pick up module. i cannot remove the gear to release the shaft. am i going about this all wrong?? i cannot afford to mess this up, so any advice or "tricks" would be greatly appreciated. by the way, my name is Adrienne, nice to meet you, Steve...

Customer :

do i need any special tools? also, am i going about replacing this pick up module the right way? i am a woman, but have a great understanding of cars. i really want to try to avoid replacing it, so what do i have to lose? (well, except maybe my sanity!!)

Steve Jensen :

Adrienne, you need a press and a press plate that is suitable to fit between the gear and the body of the distributor, as shown above. Make sure you only press on the section of the gear that is around the shaft. If you place the press plate against the gear teeth, they will chip. You'll understand what I mean when you have the dist. out of the engine. Make a scribe mark on the shaft and the gear to help you align it when you are going back together. The hole through the gear and the shaft that the roll pin goes through to retain the gear is not perfectly centered, so you have to put the gear back on just the way it came off. Other than that, just follow the instructions and illustrations above. I am confident you can accomplish this with a little care in pressing the gear off of the shaft and back on. No other real difficulties to this job. Nice to meet you too. Steve

Steve Jensen :

By the way, the term stator in the instructions I first posted is the same thing as the pickup.

Customer :

STEVE... I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING... SINCE THE DISTRIBUTOR SHAFT IS FROZEN (WHICH IS MY PROBLEM RIGHT NOW, GETTING IT LOOSE) COULD THAT BE A SIGN THAT THE TIMING BELT IS BROKEN OR ASKEW??? IF IT IS, THEN IS DOING THE DISTRIBUTOR A WASTE OF TIME? I WAS TOLD IF THE TIMING BELT IS BAD, THE SHAFT WILL NOT TURN. SEEMS SENSIBLE, BUT UNLIKELY. WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Steve Jensen :

Do I understand that you have the distributor out of the engine and the shaft is siezed and will not turn in the body of the dist?

Steve Jensen :

You'll need to look at the gear on the camshaft that drives the distributor gear and make sure it is not damaged, do so by looking down the distributor hole with a flashlight while turning the engine over slowly, look for broken teeth. The 2.3L engine used in the 94 Tempo does not use a timing belt, it is a timing chain and gears. Unlikely that they would be damaged by a siezed distributor, but if they were worn enough to begin with, it is possible that the chain could jump the teeth. If the shaft is siezed in the distributor, I would not attempt to repair it. The bronze bushings in the body of the dist will be damaged and are not readily available.

Customer :

YES, I HAVE THE DIST OUT AND APART. THE CAR ORIGINALLY HAD NO SPARK. THE BATTERY WAS GOOD, BUT VERY LOW ON POWER. I CHARGED IT OVERNITE AND REPLACED IT. NO GO. SO I LOOKED AT MY PLUGS, WHICH WERE OK, BUT ARE BEING REPLACED WITH NEW ONES. LOOKED AT A FEW OTHER THINGS (WIRES, CRACKED CAP, ETC.) BUT NO OBVIOUS ANSWER. ALL LOOKED GOOD. SO, FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES, I WENT AFTER THE DISTRIBUTOR, THE ONLY OTHER THING I CAN THINK OF. THATS WHEN THE PICK UP MODULE CAME INTO THE PICTURE. I NEED TO REMOVE THAT GEAR TO INSTALL THE NEW MODULE. EASIER SAID THAN DONE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO "SERVICE" A DISTRIBUTOR, BUT I DO AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT GETTING A NEW ONE. RIGHT NOW, I CAN'T AFFORD IT, SO I NEED TO USE WHAT I HAVE AND PRAY FOR THE BEST. BTW, THE SHAFT DOESN'T SEEM SEIZED AFTER ALL. IT IS TURNING EASILY AND FREELY IN MY HANDS. HOPEFULLY, IT WILL BE OK WHEN RE-INSTALLED IN THE ENGINE WITH THE FRESH MODULE. ONLY THEN WILL I BE ABLE TO TELL IF IT WORKS PROPERLY (UNLESS YOU KNOW A BETTER WAY THAT WOULD SAVE ME TROUBLE). I FOUND A LOCAL MACHINE SHOP WHO WILL "PRESS" IT FOR ME. I'M MAKING SURE THEY READ THIS PRIOR, BECAUSE THIS IS A ONE SHOT DEAL. I WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED ON MY PROGRESS AND I WOULD LIKE TO STAY IN TOUCH IN CASE I GET STUCK ON SOMETHING UNEXPECTED AGAIN. TALK TO YOU SOON!!

Steve Jensen :

Okay, I'll leave the post open so you can reply as necessary.