Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford F350 SuperDuty Pickup 4x4 I have a 2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke.

I have a 2004 f350 6.0 powerstroke. How can you check if high pressure oil pump has gone out?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What problems are you having?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First instance we found that the high pressure oil pump had gone out. While we were changing we installed an oil cooler as well. Truck ran fine for about 500 mile and as we were coming off of exit truck died and will not sart. We had access to a scan tool and found no codes. We changed the ICP after seeing 70PSI thinking that was it. We change and got a 200psi reading. We took out the IPR and checked the screen. Was a little dirty..We cleaned and check. Seems to be working.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford Motor Company. If you need I can send you a copy of the TSB as well as the pump test procedures.

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2010 E-Series vehicles equipped with a 6.0L engine may exhibit a runs rough, lacks power, hard start, no start concern with or without diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0611 code or various injector circuit codes. This concern may be caused by a DC-DC converter located in one half of the Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) or by the main circuit board in the other half of the FICM.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We had a spare FICM and swapped out.It still made no difference.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If you need I can send you a copy of the TSB as well as the pump test procedures.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes please
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply. Please give me a few moments to upload the info for you. And Please don't forget to click on the green ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The test procedures and the TSB are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

CLICK HERE FOR TSB

High Pressure Oil Pump Test

Note: Never replace the high pressure oil pump due to debris on the IPR valve screen. Remove the debris and retest the system.

Note: Higher oil temperatures are more effective for diagnosis of high pressure oil system leaks.

Note: To maintain command of the IPR valve while cranking the engine, it is necessary to disconnect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor.

Note: Make sure the battery voltage is greater than 12.5 volts at all times throughout this procedure. High pressure oil pumps will not pass the high pressure oil pump tests if the battery voltage drops below 12.5 volts during the procedure. The high pressure oil pump is dependent on cranking speed to generate sufficient injection control pressure. If the battery voltage drops below 12.5 volts, the battery may need to be charged or there may be a charging system concern, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 414-00, Charging System, Symptom Chart to continue diagnosis.

Purpose:

The purpose of this test is to isolate the branch tube assembly and the high pressure oil pump from the rest of the high pressure oil system, and to verify pump function.

Data List

• The scan tool may reset below 9.5 volts.
  • Select the parameters indicated from the scan tool parameter list and monitor while cranking the engine.

Parameter Specification Measurement
B+ 11.5 volts
IPR Greater than 60%
ICPG 10.5 MPa (1500 psi) minimum
G After the ICP signal has stabilized and is not changing.

No or low oil in the system, system leakage, damaged IPR or high pressure pump could cause low pressure.

Recommended Procedure (F-Super Duty or Excursion — Build Date On Or Before 9-29-03):
  • Remove the left and right hand valve covers. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C, Engine, Valve Cover.
  • Disconnect the high-pressure oil rail supply lines at the high-pressure oil rails using the Disconnect Tool, Quick-Release Coupling 303-755 or equivalent. Install the plugs from the Adapter, Oil Pressure Leak Test 303-756 or equivalent into the high-pressure oil rail supply lines to block them off.
  • Remove the FICM relay.
  • Disconnect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor.
  • Connect the scan tool.
  • Access and monitor the ICP, ICP_V, IPR, and B+ PIDS.
  • Using the scan tool, command the IPR duty cycle above 60%.
  • Crank the engine until the ICP PIDs are stable and not changing.
  • Compare to the specification.

If the minimum ICP specification is achieved, a leak in the high pressure oil system is suspect. Remove both oil rail plugs and head tubes (stand pipe front plugs and both stand pipes) from the oil rails, as equipped, and inspect the seals as a possible leak source. Replace the damaged components as necessary. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C, Engine. Carry out the High Pressure Oil System Air Pressure Test in this section to verify the repair.

If the minimum ICP specification is not achieved, a leaking rear engine tube assembly or a damaged high pressure oil pump is suspect. Remove the pump cover and inspect for leaks. Repair any leaks and repeat the test or replace the pump if no leaks are present. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04C, Fuel Charging and Controls, Oil Pump.

Recommended Procedure (E-Series or F-Super Duty or Excursion — Build Date On 9-30-03 Or Later):
  • Remove both upper crankcase to head tubes (stand pipes).
  • Remove the ICP sensor.
  • Install the ICP sensor into the Adapter, ICP Test(NNN) NNN-NNNN1 and into the rear of the right high pressure oil rail where the upper stand pipe was removed.
  • Install the Adapter, ICP Test(NNN) NNN-NNNN2 into the rear of the left high pressure oil rail where the upper stand pipe was removed.
  • Install the Adapter Cable, ICP/EBC 418-D003 (D94T-50-A) or equivalent to the existing ICP sensor connector.
  • Remove the FICM relay.
  • Connect the scan tool.
  • Access and monitor the ICP, ICP_V, IPR, and B+ PIDs.
  • Compare to the specification.

If the minimum ICP specification is not achieved, a leaking rear engine tube assembly or a damaged high pressure oil pump is suspect. Remove the pump cover and inspect for leaks. Repair any leaks and repeat the test or replace the pump if no leaks are present. For E-series vehicles, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04D, Fuel Charging and Controls, Oil Pump. For F-Super Duty and Excursion vehicles, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04C, Fuel Charging and Controls, Oil Pump.

Possible Causes:
  • Rear engine tube assembly
  • High pressure oil pump
Tools Required:
  • Adapter, ICP Test(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent
  • Adapter, Oil Pressure Leak Test 303-756 or equivalent
  • Adapter Cable, ICP/EBC 418-D003 (D94T-50-A) or equivalent
  • Disconnect Tool, Quick-Release Coupling 303-755 or equivalent
  • Scan tool

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks. If you need more help then let me know.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for the ACCEPT!

The additional tests are below.

High Pressure Oil System Air Pressure Check

Note: An air leak on the high pressure oil pump shaft lip seal is normal while carrying out this procedure. This is not an indication of a high pressure oil leak and the high pressure oil pump should not be replaced for this condition. If the pump is suspect, carry out the High Pressure Oil Pump Test to verify the pump generates sufficient pressure to start the engine.

Note: The replacement parts may leak if all the surfaces are not oil saturated under system pressure and the seals are not correctly seated during installation.

Note: Never replace the high pressure oil pump until all high pressure oil system leaks have been repaired and the high pressure oil system is retested.

Note: A complaint of engine stalls followed by a crank no start while the engine is warm indicates a leak in the high pressure oil system. This may or may not be accompanied by DTCs P2290 or P2291. Follow this procedure to isolate the leak.

Note: If an intermittent no start condition or delayed ICP pressure rise during restart after a 15-minute soak exists, a small leak is suspect. Refer to the Hard Start illustration of the previous test. Remove the valve covers to inspect for leaks.

Purpose:

The purpose of this test is to verify IPR valve operation and to isolate leaks in the high pressure oil system.

Recommended Procedure:

• Verify the base engine oil pressure. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C, Engine, Inspection and Verification.
  • If the engine will start, warm the engine until the EOT is greater than 80 °C (176 °F).
  • For F-Super Duty and Excursion vehicles built on or before 9-29-03, and for all E-series vehicles, install the Adapter, High Pressure Pump Test 303-765 or equivalent by removing the test port plug on the top of the high pressure oil pump. For F-Super Duty and Excursion vehicles built on 9-30-03 or later, install the Adapter, High Pressure Pump Test 303-765 or equivalent by removing the ICP sensor.

Note: It is easier to find small leaks with higher pressure.

• Pressurize the high pressure oil system up to 1379 kPa (200 psi) using a suitable tool.
  • Key ON, engine OFF.
  • Using the scan tool, open the IPR valve by decreasing the IPR duty cycle to 0%.
  • Allow oil to drain through the IPR valve for two (2) minutes. An air leak should be heard.
  • Using the scan tool, close the IPR valve by increasing the IPR duty cycle to 85%.
  • Listen for an air noise change.
  • Use a stethoscope through the oil fill tube or left valve cover crankcase vent hole to isolate the location of the air noise change.
  • Cycle the IPR valve open (IPR duty cycle 0%) and closed (IPR duty cycle 85%) as needed to help isolate the location of the air noise. An air noise at the base of the high pressure oil pump with the IPR duty cycle at 0% is normal.
  • If no air noise change is heard, the IPR valve may not be functioning as commanded. GO to Pinpoint Test R to diagnose IPR circuit DTCs. If no DTCs are present and the engine will start, carry out the Injection Pressure Regulator Test in this section to verify IPR function. If the engine will not start, install a new IPR valve and repeat the air pressure check. For E-series vehicles, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04D, Fuel Charging and Controls, Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Valve. For F-Super Duty and Excursion vehicles, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04C, Fuel Charging and Controls, Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Valve.
  • If no air noise change is heard and the IPR valve has already been replaced, carry out the High Pressure Oil Pump Test in this section.
  • If an air noise change is heard under a valve cover, remove the cover(s) to isolate the location of the leak. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C, Engine, Valve Cover. Listen for leaks around the fuel injector O-Rings, stand pipes, and oil rail plugs.
  • If an air noise change is heard at the back of the engine, a leak at the rear engine tube assembly is suspect. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C, Engine, Disassembly and Assembly for rear engine tube assembly replacement.
  • After completing all repairs, verify the high pressure oil system integrity by re-pressurizing the system and listening again for any remaining leaks while cycling the IPR valve duty cycle. Repeat the Monitor the ICP and IPR Duty Cycle While Cranking test to verify the repair.
Possible Causes:
  • Low base engine oil pressure or level
  • ICP system leak
  • Damaged discharge tube
  • Damaged rear engine tube assembly
  • Leaking high pressure tube assembly male and female fitting
  • Damaged stand-pipe or oil supply tube
  • Damaged or missing stand-pipe O-ring
  • Damaged or missing oil supply tube O-ring
  • Damaged high pressure oil rail plug
  • Damaged or missing high pressure oil rail plug O-ring
  • Damaged or missing O-ring between discharge tube and high pressure pump
  • Damaged or missing discharge tube O-ring that fits inside high pressure pump cover
  • Damaged or missing high pressure pump inlet O-ring
  • Damaged or missing O-ring between high pressure oil rail and the injector
  • IPR failure
  • Damaged high pressure pump

Possible Leak Locations
High Pressure Oil System (F-Super Duty and Excursion — Build Date On Or Before 9-29-03)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

High Pressure Oil System (E-Series or F-Super Duty and Excursion — Build Date On 9-30-03 Or Later)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here