NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master
21564301

Ford Focus SE The O/D off light is on , even after restart.

The O/D off light is "on", even after restart. I pushed the button on the shifter, and the overdrive still won't work. Any ideas
Hi, any symptoms while driving? Also, is the light on or does it blink? Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The transmission shifts fine through all gears. No other noticeable problems. The light just stays on, no blinking.
Have to ask this, does pressing the o/d button do nothing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing at all.

Great thank you. Now, did you ever press the o/d button, or did the light come on all by itself? Next, while driving, can you feel the transmission go into 4th gear (overdrive)

The way to tell is you should feel 3 shifts from a stop to highway speeds.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The light came on by itself. It's definetly not shifting into overdrive. Can tell by the sound of the engine RPM's. I am a steering and suspension, and brake specialist, definetly not a transmission specialist, and this has definetly got me baffled. I know when the light is flashing there is issues, but I have never seen an o/d light just stay on.
Great info. Now O/D band is used in 2nd gear and 4th gear, when driving, does the transmission seem to shift to 3rd fine? or does it go from 1st to 3rd, skipping 2nd? this will mean a lot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just verified that it does shift 1, 2, 3 just fine.

Great info thanks! Put the car in neutral, then shut off with parking brake on, and remove the center consule. Disconnect all connectors to the shifter, (for o/d button)

with battery disconnected for 15 minutes. Start the car and see if o/d lamp is now off, if so the button itself is shorted (spills, or just part shorted). If o/d lamp is now off, o/d button or shifter handle needs to be replaced. If o/d lamp still on, could be wiring, or pcm not opening/ closing transister internal to allow lamp to shut off along with allowing 4th gear.

Also, to help with removing consule, remove the cup holder inserts and screws up front, glove box top, and pop out rear trim on rear of consule, should come out easily.