Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

Ford Ranger 4x4 The windshield wiper motor works on high speed

The windshield wiper motor works on high speed only. Could it be the low speed windings are shot? it is a 99 ranger.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 3 years ago.

Chuck :

How this works is the GEM module controls the wiper relay to get the wipres to run on high or low.Normally your problem is caused by a bad multi-function switch but yes it could also be the relay or the wiper motor or even the GEM module itself.

Chuck :

Here is a test for the switch which is what I would recommend checking first

Chuck :

Here are the wiring schematrics if this helps.

Customer:

This connection does not look the same as what I have. I did try to check with a voltmeter but the probes are too large to fit into the socket. Have you had similar questions about this?

Chuck :

No I have not run across this.What connection is different, the multi-function switch?

Chuck :

Do you have interval wipers also?

Customer:

I see only one connector - straight in-line with 5 contacts that plugs into the motor.Yes, I have interval wipers.

Chuck :

The pic I sent you was of the connector to the multi-function switch(turn signal switch) and not to the motor itself

Customer:

Where is the mulit-function switch located?

Chuck :

Here is the connector at the motor it is a 5 pin connector

Chuck :

The multi-function switch is on the steering column,it is the turn signal/ wiper combination switch

Customer:

OK - now if I check the low and high speed inputs, I should get a voltage reading and what should it be? Do I check between the inputs and ground?

Chuck :

Ok here is how to determine what is causing the problem with just a voltmeter. Look at the first wiring schematic page I sent you of the motor itself and find the motor and to the right of it the High- Low relay.

Chuck :

Do you see it?

Chuck :

You still there?

Customer:

I am looking at the first scem. right now.Bear with me.

Chuck :

Ok looking at the motor pin 4 is low speed and pin 5 is high speed. So on low speed you should have power on the white wire.

Chuck :

Now if you have power there at pin 4 then switch and relay is good,you would then need to make sure you have ground on pin 3,which you should since you have high speed,and if so then motor is bad.

Customer:

OK. Where is high/low relay physically located?

Chuck :

It is in the battery junction box(underhood fuse panel).Let me get you a pic of where the relay is

Chuck :

I have circled it on the left of this pic

Chuck :

Now if you do not have power on pin 4 when switch is set to low you can first try swapping the relay with another one in the fuse box.

Chuck :

Or you could remove the relay and get a jumper wire and jump these two pins in the fuse box and then see if it works.

Customer:

OK, thank you. I think I have enough information to work with now. If it something simple like the relay, I just saved buying a motor I don't need. Thanks again.

Chuck :

Now if this does not work then you will need to remove the mulit- function switch and test it with your ohm meter from the first pic I sent you

Chuck :

If all of these are ok then it is the GEM

Chuck :

Most of the time though it will be the multi-function switch

Customer:

OK, I think we are done. Thanks again.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance