Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience

Ford Windstar My van makes a clicking sound but will not start.

Customer Question

My van makes a clicking sound but will not start. I changed the starter and the van still doesn't start. I'm also experiencing dash board elecronics goes crazy
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, have you tested your battery or tried to jump start it? Those two symptoms together are usually a bad or weak battery. Let me know. Thanks

Customer :

i tried with a battery booster.

Dieseljunky2 :

If your battery has a dead cell, a battery booster won't jump it. Do you have a volt meter?

Customer :

i have 1 but what should it tell me?

Dieseljunky2 :

Put the two leads on the battery posts. You should have the meter set to 20 or 200 volts DC. I need to know what the volts read with nothing on in the car and a second reading while someone tries to crank the engine.

Customer :

with the vold meter the battery read 97 but once cranked the meter read 60. The meter wented back 2 87 after we tried it.

Dieseljunky2 :

It cannot have 97 volts, the battery when brand new will only put out 13.3 volts. Was it 9.7?

Customer :

sorry, yes 9.7

Dieseljunky2 :

You need a new battery. Any time the voltage is below 11 volts, the battery is considered bad. It may just need a deep cycle charging. Take the battery to an autoparts store or Wal-Mart and have them test it for you. The testers nowadays can tell if a battery is good or bad or if it just needs charging. Can you do this today?

Customer :

no. i guess tomorrow

Dieseljunky2 :

OK, just let me know after you have it tested or replaced. Thanks

Customer :

Can i try it with another battery?

Dieseljunky2 :

Yes, if youhave another battery handy.

Customer :

Or can I get a boost from another car?

Dieseljunky2 :

If you have a good set of cables, another car will work. If your cables are too small or the economy type maybe not. Hook the cables up and let it charge from the other car for a few minutes and then give it a try. Let me know what happens.

Customer :

o.k.

Dieseljunky2 :

ok

Customer :

The car came on but after i disconnected the cables the car battery light came on with the abs & air bags light. right after the car went off.

Customer :

How can i tell if it's the battery or alternator?

Dieseljunky2 :

Do this test. Start the good car and then jump your van. Leave the cables connected. Now turn off the good car. Test the voltage on the battery posts. Leave the van running for this test. Let me know what the voltage is. After you check the voltage, turn off the van and disconnect the cables for safety reasons.

Customer :

the battery read 10.7 right before trying 2 start. the meter went down 2 6.0

Dieseljunky2 :

Your battery is either bad or too discharged to complete the test. How old is the battery?

Customer :

i bought the batter from autozone about alittle over a yr. it's a gold duralast yellow top

Dieseljunky2 :

Bring the battery back and have them test it. From the readings you are getting, I believe your battery has failed. Now, after the battery is replaced or charged up by Autozone. When you put it back in, the alternator voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts with the engine running. If it is less than 13.5 after running for 10 minutes, then the alternator is not charging correctly. If you have any further questions after replacing the battery, reply back and I can continue to assist you even after the accept button is clicked. I can still help for 5 days as long as it is the same problem. Thanks