Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2001 Ford escape ignition locked cant turn the key. Have tried

2001 Ford escape ignition locked can't turn the key. Have tried turning steering wheel both ways key still won't turn. Tried wd-40 in key hole but it still won't turn. I guess I will have to drill it out, but not sur how to go about that.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective ignition switch lock cylinder, if you need I can send replacemnent instructions on how to repair.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you replace it?
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The replacement instructions are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, thanks. If you need more help then let me know.

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Replacement Instructions Click Here

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But my key won't turn so I can't remove the cylinder. where do I have to drill to get the cylinder to turn without the key in it?
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. In that case the steering wheel will need to be removed in order to replace, below are the instructions.

Steering Column Information Click Here

Steering Wheel Removal Instructions Click Here

Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering

Depowering Procedure

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE: If a seat equipped with a seat mounted side air bag and/or a safety belt pretensioner (if equipped) system is being serviced, the supplemental restraint system (SRS) must be depowered.

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  3. At the central junction box (CJB), located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse F2.5 (5A) and F2.7 (10A) from the CJB. For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
  4. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
  5. Turn the ignition OFF.
  6. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

The side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the B-pillars.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301) and wait at least one minute.

Repowering Procedure

1. WARNING: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.

Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tool(s) that may have been installed during the repair have been removed from the vehicle and all SRS components are connected.
  2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON.
  3. Install RCM fuses F2.5 (5A) and F2.7 (10A) to the CJB and close the cover.
  4. WARNING: Be sure that nobody is in the vehicle and that there is nothing blocking or set in front of any air bag module when the battery ground cable is connected.

Connect the battery ground cable.
  5. Prove out the supplemental restraint system (SRS) as follows:
    Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the key back to ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag indicator will light continuously for approximately six seconds and then turn off. If an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault is present, the air bag indicator will either:
    - fail to light.
    - remain lit continuously.
    - flash.
    The flashing might not occur until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned from the OFF to the ON position. This is the time required for the restraints control module (RCM) to complete the testing of the SRS. If the air bag indicator is inoperative and a SRS fault exists, a chime will sound in a pattern of five sets of five beeps. If this occurs, the air bag indicator and any SRS fault discovered must be diagnosed and repaired.
    Clear all continuous DTCs from the restraints control module using a scan tool.