Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

Ford Explorer 4x2 2002 Ford Explorer OD off light flashing. Transmission

Customer Question

2002 Ford Explorer OD off light flashing.
Transmission 5R55S

Transmission is shifting fine. Have had this light issue for about 6 months. Transmission shop fine no problem. Ford dealer said replace of course. The code is reading torque converter slippage.

I did some research and I found this can be cause by a faulty transmission soleniod pack of even as simple as a speed sensor.

Please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Do you know the actual code number which is storing?

Do you notice or feel this concern at highway speeds above 45mph where the RPMS go up and down about 400 ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for taking so long. I called the dealer to have them look up my name and tell me the code that pulled.

The code was P0741

It had 105k miles when I brought it in. It now has 119k and I have no shifting problems. The transmission shifts as it should. If I'm at highway speed and hit the od off button the transmission will downshift so I know its going into overdrive.

You can read alot of 02-05 explorer transmission complaints on the web since theres ALOT. This vehicle does have some trans issues and since its the #1 selling SUV theres alot on the road so there are more complaints. This code means the converter clutch is slipping and most likely you cant feel it since it occurs so subtle most do not even know its occuring nor what to feel or notice. The fix is not going to be the solenoid body nor the speed sensors. You need to remove the transmission and have the converter replaced which is about a 1,000 repair at most facilities. Also do not get dragged in on the additives, they can help a chatter or harsh engage or disengage but not a slippage.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so replacing the torque convertor will get it done. Great. Can I drive it till I have real problems or will it screw up something else.

You have a problem now, you just cant feel it. The converter clutch helps your fuel mileage and more importantly the transmission fluid temperature. If you drive the vehicle over a 15 minute drive the fluid will start to get to hot which will then result in all the seals failing and a complete overhaul.

You can drive short trips with a 2 hour minimum cool down between them for now but this does need to be resolved or the repair price will just get higher and higher.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any other things that will need replacing or is replacing the torque convertor it? I hate to drop that kind of dough to have the same problems. The ford dealer said i need a new transmission. Which I dont really give that any credit. Just wanna be sure

At this time with this concern this is all you need to resolve this concern.