Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

ford windstar The theft light keeps blinking after I have

Customer Question

The theft light keeps blinking after I have shut off the vehicle, key is out of ignition, all doors are closed and locked. The vehicle is an older ford windstar van. It does not have keyless entry. What can I do to make it stop blinking? Will the battery be be dead if I can't get it to stop?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 5 years ago.

Chuck :

This is normal,the anti-theft light will blink to act as a theft deterent.It uses les then 30 milliamps so ot would take several days to weeks to discharge a good battery.

Customer:

Do you mean that it always continues blinking until the vehicle is started again? This is a spare vehicle that a friend has, and I am borrowing it for a few days while my car is in the shop. They have several vehicles and don't drive this one often, so it does sometimes sit for a long time without being driven. Does that light blink all the time? Tonight is the first time I noticed it when I shut off the vehicle.

Chuck :

Yes it blinks like that when ever the key is turned off.It is part of the PATS (passive anti-theft system).It should blink once every 2 secs.

Chuck :

There is also a chip inside the key so when you turn the key on then if the PATS system sees the chip it will turn on solid for 2 to 3 seconds then turn off.If it does not see the chip in the key then it will start flashing rapidly and will not let the car start.

Customer:

Ok I am trusting your answer, I hope the van starts in the morning.