Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

Ford F350 97 Ford F350, Diesel 7.3 Changed fuel pump injectors

Customer Question

97 Ford F350, Diesel 7.3
Changed fuel pump injectors not opening. Could there be air in the line if so how do I remove it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, On your engine, the only thing youcan do to help bleed the system is as follows. Open the lid to the fuel filter and crank the engine until the filter housing is full. Then reinstall the filter and lid. Then it will only take a couple of cranks to fire up if everything else is good. Let me know what happens. Thanks

Customer :

This is the only way to remove air from lines to injectors? Making sure I asked the question right! Guess you can tell I am a female!

Dieseljunky2 :

On the 1997 there are no injector lines, are we on the correct year? Pre-1994 has an individual line to each injector. After 1995 there is a single line from the bottom of the fuel bowl to each head. If you have the 1997, then this is the procedure to bleed teh air.

Customer :

It seems that there is 2 lines one to each head. So it does have lines, my fault. There is no air comming thru bleeder screw just fuel has some pressure.. Has fuel all the way to bowl. What causes the Injectors not to open. Now that I have 2 lines where an how do I bleed them?

Dieseljunky2 :

THose lines are not usually touched except for engine repairs that require their removal. If you loosen them, the seals at the ends must be replaced. I have never had to bleed those lines for any repair I have ever done to this model of engine. Did the engine stop running on you and that is why you replaced the pump?

Customer :

It had been setting for 3yrs. Started up right off the ran out of fuel wasn't much. Because it had been setting and fuel was out, I had the system fuel line blown out and all cleaned, this is when I had the pump replaced. Could it be something electrical controls injectors. What controls the injectors??

Dieseljunky2 :

That is why I asked about the situation. Get in the truck and turn the key on. Does the wait to start light and the engine come on? Now try to crank it over, does the tachometer show any rpm while cranking? I need to know these 3 things for certain. Thanks

Customer :

I need to step out for a while. Will get back to you I have somethng hat needs my attenion. I wil try to hury!!!!!!!!!

Dieseljunky2 :

ok

Customer :

Hello!

Dieseljunky2 :

I am still here.

Customer :

Lite comes on, tach shows 1500, makes a sound like a relay, second one from the fire wall, fender side. Changed relay around, all fuses are

good.

Dieseljunky2 :

If the tach shows 1500, it must not work. Does it move any when you start cranking the engine?

Customer :

Yes

Dieseljunky2 :

Check the eninge oil level and let me know if it is low.

Customer :

1500-2000 on rpm. Already checked it is good!

Dieseljunky2 :

Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust while cranking?

Customer :

No

Dieseljunky2 :

OK, does the oi lpressure gauge in the dash show oil pressure while cranking

Customer :

yes

Dieseljunky2 :

ok, check this plug. You will have to unscrew this plug, and use a small screwdriver to stick in the hole to check the oil level. It should be within 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the top of the reservoir. Here is the picture of the plug. Thanks

Full Size Image

Customer :

OK

Dieseljunky2 :

Let me know and we can go from there. Thanks