david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

Ford Escape diagnostic code po352,po354,po355.Changed coil

Customer Question

diagnostic code po352,po354,po355.Changed coil packs and plugs,no effect
Category: Ford
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

Customer :
david :

P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0355 Ignition Coil E Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Misfire Codes under load or acceleration. At first this would appear to be a coil problem because the coils are under the most stress under load. But in most cases this is not the problem as you have found with replacing the coils.

Power is provided to the coils on the white/violet wire. The PCM provides ground to each coil on a different color wire P0351, P0352, P0354, P0355, misfire codes, Ford, Escape.

Start your diagnostics by checking for 12 volts (key in RUN position, but engine off) on the white/violet wire to the coil shown in the trouble code. If you get 12 volts on that wire, move your digital meter to the ground wire for that coil. You should still see 12 volts because the coil is not grounded. If you don’t see 12 volts, you have a bad coil. If you do see 12 volts, swap the coil with a different cylinder and check for misfire again. If you still see a misfire code for the original cylinder, you most likely have a broken grounding wire near the PCM.

Many shops and me have been reporting a broken coil ground wires in the harness to the power train control module (PCM) (the computer). Check for voltage on the coil ground wire at the PCM while flexing the wiring harness. The broken wire is usually located within 3” of the PCM.

Let me know.

Customer :

where is the pcm

Customer :

we tried the 12 volt thing and everything checks out ok now what

Customer :

now what

david :

The Power train Control Module (PCM) is located behind the instrument panel (cowl), center to both driver and passenger sides (access from the engine compartment).

Full Size Image

The wires being broken is vary common problem. If the car is still under warranty ford will fix the wiring for free. Ford put out a TSB for this problem.

david :

Check the wiring as I out lined and let me know.

Customer :

I checked voltage on all 6 packs and have 12 volts in one wire but not the other .If coils are bad the car should't even start

david :

this is with key on engine off yes.

Customer :

yes

david :

Ok can you check for a ground at the other wire (the wire that did not have power). Just so you I know the key needs to be in the run passion for this.

david :

At the same time move wiggle the wires at the PCM Any change?

Customer :

so I should have 12 volts in both wires with key on engine off?

david :

You should see 12 volts on both because the coil is not grounded

david :

you need to have both test probes on both wires. The first time you were checking for power one probe on ground the other on the wire you got power.