John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience

Ford: where do you put the power steering fluid on a 2008 ford

where do you put the power steering fluid on a 2008 ford escape it does have a power steerin pump, i think , but i dont see any resavoir
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 3 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

Your truck has electric power steering. Here is a quote from the service manual.

The rack and pinion steering gear that is used with the Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system is a manual (non-hydraulic) steering gear that is contained within a 1-piece die cast aluminum housing. The power assist is provided by a 12-volt, 65 amp brush-less motor, mounted to the steering column. The steering column and motor/module are serviced as an assembly. For information on steering column service, refer to Section 211-04. A new steering gear includes inner tie rods, however, the inner and outer tie rods can also be serviced separately. For information on tie-rod service, refer to Section 211-03.

You probably just have a bad pulley or your alternator has a bad bearing that is causing your noise. To isolate the noise remove the belt and turn the pulleys by hand to see which one feels rough. If you can't feel the noise you will need to use a mechanics stethoscope to help find which pulley has the noise.

John Mc :

Bearings can sound just like a bad ps pump. I have had this happen to me on occasion where I thought it was the pump but since your truck does not have a pump that can't be the problem. :)

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

Customer :

what kind of system is the belt running, it is on the back side of the motor and looks like a power steering pump, backside meang toward the firewall

John Mc :

All your truck should have is an alternator, an ac compressor and some idler pulleys. If I remember right the water pump is on the transmission side of the engine. Give me a sec and I'll post a diagram of your pulleys.

John Mc :

The pulley you are describing is the idler pulley that took place of the ps pump. Here is the diagram.

Full Size Image

John Mc :
Customer :

wher number 8 is looks like a power steering pump

John Mc :

You have an 08 correct?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

it is a 6/07 on the door

John Mc :

Whats your vin so I can check to be sure.

Customer :

i dont have the vehicle available right now

John Mc :

If it says 6/07 it should be an 07. Let me check to be sure but I believe 07 models did have a pump.

Customer :

it says it conforms to 08 standards under hood

John Mc :

year models usually start in the 8th month. I'm not sure it the 08 models came out early that year but it is possible you have an early 08 that still had hydraulic steering. 07 models did have hydraulic so this may be what you have. Here is a pic of where the reservoir is. It is located on the passenger side strut tower between the coolant reservoir and the strut tower.

Full Size Image

John Mc :

No. 6 in the pic is the reservoir.

John Mc :

If no reservoir you have electronic power assist system (epas)

John Mc :
Customer :

can the electric power assist make a whining noise when turning the steering wheel

Customer :

and is it it any concern

John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience: 19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
Expert:  John Mc replied 3 years ago.

I haven't seen one make noise, we have had next to no problems with the EPAS systems. If you have an alternator going bad it is possible because it would be drawing amperage when you turn it.

Thanks,

John Mc