Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

How do i remove the transmission from my ford thunderbird 1995 4.6l

Customer Question

how do i remove the transmission from my ford thunderbird 1995 4.6l
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

FlatHead_337 :

Is it a Automatic Transaxle, Automatic Transmission or a Manual Transmission?

Customer:

automatic trans....

FlatHead_337 :

Ok, is it the 4r70w Transmission, A4LD Transmission, C3 Transmission or C5?

Customer:

yes

FlatHead_337 :

Which 1 or do you know?

Customer:

that i dont no

FlatHead_337 :

I just give you the instructions for all 4. give me 1 moment.

Customer:

ok

FlatHead_337 :

Here are the instructions for all 4, click here.

Customer:

how can i know which is it?

FlatHead_337 :

I'm looking that up now.

Customer:

where do i go to see the answer?

FlatHead_337 :

The transmission identification tag is usually attached by the lower left extension attaching bolt or under the lower front intermediate servo cover bolt. The transmission identification code number is XXXXX on the bottom of the vehicle certification label. The transmission tag shows the model prefix and suffix, assembly part numbers, and build date code. The first line on the tag shows the transmission model prefix and suffix. A number appearing after the suffix indicates that internal parts have been changed after the initial production start up. For example, a PEE-FL model transmission that has been changed internally would read PEE-FL1. Both transmissions are basically the same, but some service parts in the PEE-FL1 transmission are slightly different than the PEE-FL transmission. Therefore, it is important that the codes on the transmission identification tag be checked when ordering parts or making inquires about the transmission.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]Common transmission identification tag[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Common transmission identification tag

Click to Enlarge

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]The transmission code on the certification label is identified by the digits located under the TR of the label[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

The transmission code on the certification label is identified by the digits located under the TR of the label

Click to Enlarge
FlatHead_337 :

Wait, those pictures didn't show up.

FlatHead_337 :

Common transmission identification tag

Full Size Image

FlatHead_337 :

Full Size Image

FlatHead_337 :

Do you have an automatic overdrive or not?

Customer:

i am in the process of changing the whole transmission, does that make a differance

Customer:

yes i do

Customer:

I have the option of overdrive on the stick.

FlatHead_337 :

I was just trying to indentify it. If it's an overdrive than it's either the 4R70W or A4LD Transmission, if not the C3 or C5.

Customer:

Is it important that I get the spicifics?

Customer:

if I just change the transmission completely. Cause I found a 4.6 automatic

FlatHead_337 :

I believe it goes like this, the C3 Transmission is behind the 2.3L engine, the C5 behind the 3.8L engine, the Automatic Overdrive (A4LD) Transmission behind the 2.3L engine, the Automatic Overdrive (AOD) Transmission is on the 1983–89 VEHICLES, 1990–93 VEHICLES, the 4R70W Transmission on 1994–95 VEHICLES and 1996–97 VEHICLES. So, it must be the 4R70W Transmission. I believe that code would be U.

FlatHead_337 :

I just wanted you to know which of those 4 instructions to look at.

Customer:

the 4r70w

FlatHead_337 :

yes

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i wont to know if the 1994 and 1995 4.6l are all the same with 4r70w?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

1994 Ford Thunderbird 8 Cylinders W 4.6L SFI and 4R70W.

1995 Ford Thunderbird 8 Cylinders W 4.6L SFI and 4R70W.

Yes, both engine and automatic transmissions are the same.

Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AOD_transmission#4R70W

4R70W

4R70W stands for 4 gears, Rearwheeldrive, 70 stands for the 4th gear ratio, and Wide gear ratio.

Applications:

1993–1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
1993–2003 Ford F-Series
1994–1997 Ford Thunderbird
1995–2004 Ford Crown Victoria
1996–2001 Ford Explorer
1993–2004 Lincoln Town Car
1994–1997 Mercury Cougar
1995–2004 Mercury Grand Marquis
1997–2004 Ford Expedition
1997–2001 Mercury Mountaineer
1996–2004 Ford Mustang