david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines

Ford Ranger 4x4 i have a p1309 code in my ranger 98 and the

Customer Question

i have a p1309 code in my ranger 98 and the pik up stumbles when is runing.what i need try?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

The code P1309 usually sets because the CMP synchronizer is not installed properly, and is "out of time".

If the special tool for installing the synchronizer is not available, the synchronizer must be installed with the crankshaft at 26 degrees AFTER TDC on the #1 cylinder COMPRESSION stroke. To find 26 After Top Dead Center (ATDC), set the engine at TDC of #1 compression stroke, then watch the teeth on the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor tone ring on the front of the crankshaft. Turn the engine by hand until an additional two and a half teeth on the tone ring have passed the CKP sensor. This will be 25 degrees ATDC (you can estimate 1 more degree from there). Then install the synchronizer so that when it is bottomed out, the skinny vane that rotates through the sensor is centered in the sensor opening.

Once the synchronizer and CMP sensor are installed, the misfire profile will need to be relearned. To do this, verify that the fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 tank, then drive the vehicle, and do 3 or 4 decelerations from 65 MPH down to 40 MPH without touching the brake pedal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
let me try that tomorrow,and i talk to you later
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey buddy,your tip don't work in my pick up.that code means something about the camshaft.the "out of time"have a different simptoms,like a hard to start or to stop,the engine shakes and more...
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
This would cause these symptoms. Are there any other codes besides the p1309?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes p0340
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
These codes indicate that the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Synchronizer Assembly needs to be replaced. This will cause the rough running and hard starting symptoms you have described, along with other driveability problems. I assure you this is the correct fix for your problem. This is very common on these engines.

If the P1309 comes up by itself, it indicates that the synchronizer may be installed incorrectly. But when the P1309 and P0340 come up together, it indicates the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Synchronizer Assembly needs to be replaced using the correct installation procedure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did it all ready.i replace the camshaft position sensor,and the problem sthill there
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Replacing only the camshaft position sensor will not fix the problem. The synchronizer also needs to be replaced. If you already replaced the synchronizer as well, then you have it installed incorrectly and you will need to use the above procedure to get it installed right.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well,the code p1309 said there is a misfire in cylinder #9 i don't think that is a problem with the syncronizer
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.
Hi this is a new expert my name is David. Let me see if I can help.

P0340 : Cam Sensor Condition
P1309 : Misfire Monitor Disabled (ECM Disabled Misfire monitor)

As far as I know the 1998 ford 3.0 was not the v10, So you do not have a cylinder #9. I thing your code reference is for the wrong truck or out of date.

This code could mean:

• The camshaft position sensor could be defective,
  • The camshaft synchronizer (the part that took the place of the distributor on DIS engines) has failed,
  • If you have recently had the camshaft synchronizer replaced it could be out of time.
This problem happens when the PCM doesn't see a good CMP signal when you crank it will "fake" a reading and see if that works.

When you give it short bursts (cranks) it might be try a reading and then on the 3rd try it may see one it likes and runs ok. It's hard to explain properly.

Alignment tools are available, however they are not usually needed if the old synchronizer is marked carefully before removal, many tech's keep a small bottle of white touch up paint in their tool box for this purpose.

The sensor / synchronizer assembly needs to be 54 degrees Counter Clockwise from the front of the engine NOT 54 degrees clockwise.

Has there been any work done to the truck Before this problem starter? Like timing, cam shaft,

Things to check If the camshaft synchronizer And the camshaft position sensor were BOTH replaced right.

BLK / WT wire at the sensor is ground, RED is HOT (Batt Voltage) and the GR is the signal output to the PCM from the sensor.

The output signal should be a 0V to 12V and back square wave, three complete cycles per crank revolution. If your not getting this check wires from sensor to PCM.

Let me know what you find.

FYI
Please understand All the experts hear are trying to help, In many cases from 1,000's of miles away. All we have to go by it the info you give as well as the level of detail you give, Things would be easyer if I was standing right there and could test and see the problems.

So please under stand we are trying to help, Help us help you.