Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1999 Ford Ranger 4x4: on the gauge

Our 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 has been overheating. First thing we did was flush out the radiator, then we had the thermostat replaced, then the radiator and cap. It is still going to hot on the gauge. Not all the time, but too much. Actually the first thing that they did at the place we took it at was run diagnostic and they said the cylinder #5has 50psi compression. Would that have anything to do with it? Also the resevoir for the radiator , it's cap keeps popping open. What next?
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Unfortunately the 3.0 has many known issues with blowing head gaskets and if you are getting 50 PSI on the #5 cylinder this is very likely where the gasket is blown and yes this will cause the type of issue you are having. The reservoir is popping open because the blown gasket is allowing engine compression to enter the cooling system and causing it to be over pressurized. The fix is going to be replacing the gaskets.