Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer I have a 1997 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer.

I have a 1997 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer. The low beam headlamp on the driver's side stopped working. It is not the bulb. Voltage testing showed no voltage on the Low Beam lead to ground High Beam works fine. Any clue what might cause this?
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The common problem with having no low beams is usually a bad lamp out warning modual.

Check for power at fuse 4 and 8 in the interior fuse panel with the headlights on and set to low beam.

If the fuses are powering up, go to the lamp out warning module located under the front of the center console. With the module disconnected, jump pin 1 White/Light Green (W/LG) to pin 11 Dark Blue/White (DB/WH). Then use another jumper and connect pin 12 Dark Blue/Light Green (DB/LG) and pin 13 Dark Green/Orange (DG/OG).

Recheck headlight operation. If the low beams work, replace the lamp out warning module.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right side low beam works, left side does not. Could the lamp out module cause only one lamp to fail. And the jumpering should be done on the wiring harness oviously, correct? I am assuming that the jumpering you suggested bypasses the module, and directly connects the power to the lights. Is this correct?
Yes an in most cases it always the left side, its very common . Yes do the jumpering at the connector. Your bypassing the module for testing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would you happen to have a schematic of the headlamp circuit?
Sure here you are.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would any harm come to the system if I just leave the jumpers in place. And you mentioned the lamp out module is under the front of the center console. Can it be reached from behind or does the console have to be taken apart to access it?
I dont think any harm would come as long as you have a good solid connection. The console does have to be popped up>>

graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much. I believe you hit the nail on the head. Will a copy of this Q&A be emailed to me?

YOu can right click on the page and it will print, and you can always return to it if you book mark it. Thank you as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. One final question about the Lamp Out module. I just spoke to my Ford dealer and he cannot locate the part inside the console, and the parts he did find -- he said they are all discontinued. Do you happen to have a part number? If not does Ford use the same module on newer models?

I dont not have a part number and I can say for sure if the newer unit would work. Your dealer may be able to answer the change over question for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also found a Ford forum where a 1997 Bauer had the same problem. And because the heat from the blower flows through the console he found a pin on the driver side part of the LOM had pulled away from the circuit board. He resoldered it and reported everything worked. I am a CET and have had to repair circuit boards on such items as a computer air ride leveling system on a 1990 Yamaha Venture Royale. Save me $400. Have you heard about the separation before?
Yes it is very possible, you will not know till you pull it out, Who know, you may get lucky as this was a very common problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Ron, you have been extremely helpful in identifying my problem, providing diagrams and you responded very quickly. I thank you again. This will be my last reply then, I will click on Accept Answer. Thanks again. Have a Happy Easter!
YOur very welcome and I thank you as well.