Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2000 ford taurus: firing..coil plugs into the wire 3.0 engine dohc

my 2000 ford taurus is not firing on ne of the coils and i have power where the coil plugs into the wire 3.0 engine dohc
Submitted: 5 years ago via
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

If you have power to all of the coils with the key in the run position then this means none of the coils are getting a ground pulse signal from the PCM. The PCM reads the crank sensor for a signal. Once it sees the signal and discovers where cylinder #1 is, it will then pulse a ground signal to each coil independently based on ignition timing. So you need to check the sensor visually then use a scan tool and see if the PCM is getting a signal while cranking the engine. If the PCM gets the signal then this means the fault is within the PCM not being able to cycle the drivers and fire the coils.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so what if not firing and injectors arent sprayin but fuel pump is working
If the fuel injectors are also not spraying then you need to verify they have power as well and also check there ground pulse signal from the PCM, but it know reads the cam sensor for the injectors where as the crank sensor for the coils. There is one other possible cause you now must add with non pulsing injectors which is a PATS passive anti theft system triggered and causing a rapid pulsing theft indicator when you try to start the vehicle.