Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

2003 f250: 6.0L..instrument cluster..power windows..quit working

2003 f250 6.0L instrument cluster, power windows, radio, dome lights quit working. Checked all fuses good, checked the od wire that everyone speaks of its good.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Is the entire instrument cluster inoperative?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all of the gauges are inop, but some of the lights are working but not the wait to start light. I checked all of the fuses with a multimeter, i pulled the steering column apart to access the OD wire that chafes and it is good. That is all for now im stuck
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective Instrument cluster, if you need I can send test procedures as well as replacement instructions.

• The instrument cluster is inoperative
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse(s):
    • 33 (15A).
    • 35 (10A).
    • 41 (10A).
    • 45 (10A).
  • Circuitry.
  • Instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all of the fuses listed in your answer are good, and the cluster cant be bad because the radio is inop, the dome lights are inop, and the power windows are inop. This problem is electrical. Are you able to help any further?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Yes, I am. Give me a few moments to look over system wiring diagrams.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The battery saver relay in the instrument cluster powers the accessory delay which includes the radio, interior lighting and power windows.

graphic

graphic
graphic
graphic

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. You can start by checking the accesory delay relay, if you need test procedures I can send them.

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, thanks. If you need more help then let me know

The symptom chart is below.

Symptom Chart
Condition Possible Sources
  • All power windows are inoperative
  • Fuse(s).
  • Circuitry.
  • LF window control switch.
  • Accessory delay relay.

• The audio unit is inoperative
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse:
    • 32 (20A).
    • 11 (20A).
    • 42 (15A).
    • 16 (15A).
  • Circuitry.
  • Audio unit.
  • Ignition switch.

• The interior lamps are inoperative
  • Instrument cluster.
  • Vehicle security module

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can i check the accesory delay relay? If the battery saver relay ends up being bad is it replaceable or do you have to replace the whole cluster?
thank you for your help

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. You aer very welcome, the battery saver relay is part of the instrument cluster. The accessory delay relay tests are below.

Battery saver relay location

instrument cluster, (not serviceable)

Battery Saver

The battery saver is activated when the instrument cluster module is not receiving voltage input from the ignition switch (OFF position). The instrument cluster module will then provide ground to the battery saver relay coil, activating the relay, for a period of 10 minutes with the interior lamp (headlamp) switch in the off position, or a maximum period of 30 minutes with the interior lamp (headlamp) switch in the on position or a door is ajar, provided that the instrument cluster module does not receive any other input signals within the time-out period. The activated battery saver relay switches voltage to the demand lamp circuit and the interior lamp relay coil. After time-out, the instrument cluster module disconnects ground from the battery saver relay coil, disabling the demand lamp circuit.

PINPOINT TEST H: THE DELAYED ACCESSORY IS INOPERATIVE
Test Step Result / Action to Take
H1 CHECK VOLTAGE TO THE ACCESSORY DELAY RELAY
  • Disconnect: Rear Window Defrost Relay.
  • Measure the voltage between the accessory delay relay pin 30, harness side and ground.

graphic
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to H2.

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
H2 CHECK VOLTAGE TO THE ACCESSORY DELAY RELAY FROM THE BATTERY SAVER RELAY
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Activate The Battery Saver Relay.
  • Measure the voltage between the accessory delay relay pin 85, harness side and ground.

graphic
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to H3.

No
GO to H4.
H3 CHECK INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MODULE (ICM)
  • Measure the resistance between the accessory delay relay pin 86, harness side and ground.
graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new accessory delay relay. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
GO to H5.
H4 CHECK CIRCUIT 54 (LG/YE) FOR AN OPEN
  • Disconnect: Instrument Cluster Module (ICM) C220c.
  • Measure the resistance between the accessory delay relay pin 85, harness side and ICM C220c pin 1, circuit 54 (LG/YE) harness side.

graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
REFER to Section 417-01 to diagnose the battery saver relay. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
H5 CHECK CIRCUIT 1332 (LB) FOR AN OPEN
  • Disconnect: Instrument Cluster Module (ICM) C220b.
  • Measure the resistance between the accessory delay relay pin 86, harness side and ICM C220b pin 8, circuit 1332 (LB) harness side.

graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes

No

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Shawn on the first image you included for me of a wiring diagram it shows a VBATT in the instrument cluster dotted line box. What is VBATT? is it the same as a GEM
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. VBATT is just short for battery voltage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have no ground on pin 86 of the acc delay relay. i physically wired the relay to a ground point and the other side to a 12v key on point and activate the relay. Bingo the radio and windows come back on! but still no instrument cluster or interior lights. i dont think the battery saver relay is bad i believe it is the ground side of VBATT does this mean a physical wire coming from one of the batteries and if so which one
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Most likely inside the cluster is where the problem is. Also double check the connector for damage.
graphic