Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

1997 FORD ECONOLINE: temp gauge..HAVE REPLACED SENSOR, CLUSTER..ecU.

Customer Question

1997 FORD ECONOLINE 350 TEMP GAUGE INOP. HAVE REPLACED SENSOR, CLUSTER, AND ECU. STILL DOES NOT WORK. WIRING CHECKS GOOD. PLEASE HELP
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, My name is Randall. I will do my best to assist you with your question

Tracer :

There are 3 different coolant temp sensors. I need to know what one you replaced and the wire colors going to it. LMk thanks

Customer :

TOP FRONT OF ENGINE. colors are red with white tracer. and yellow with red tracer

Tracer :

You have checked continuity of the R/W wire right to the cluster and know there are no breaks correct or have not checked yet

Tracer :

What is temp needle doing? on bottom, maxed out?

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no brakes in the wire. gauge is sitting on the bottom. i can ground the wire and gauge will go to top. service info says i should have 5 volts on cuircuit. i have 12 volts coming out of new and old cluster
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Are you grounding the R/W wire? correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok , pleae do not take this the wrong way :) Either you engine temp is so low that the guage is not reading OR you have a faulty sensor OR your Y/R wire is not grounded. It cant be anything else

The R/W goes direct to cluster. Forget the PCM as it is NOT part of the temp guage circuit per say. yes, the R/W wire Does go off to PCM but branch separate to the guage. Your guage works, R/W wire is good, So... this would tell me the Y/R wire is not grounded.

I would poke through the Y/R wire and jump artificial wire to ground. If it still does NOT work. 100% you have bad sensor or enginetemp is really that low.

Here are the diagrams. Look close at DIAGRAM #2 as you will see the feeds of R/W and Y/R. Y/R goes to ground

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here