Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

What is undocumented code PO2004 for a 2003 Ford Ranger pickup, 2.3L

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

The code P2004 indacates the swirl control valve is stuck open and cleaning the intake may resolve you issue but in some cases its a bad vacuum line or actuator.

Check the operation of the swirl control valve by moving the actuator by hand. If there is any sticking or binding, clean the intake manifold and retest.

Check the output from the swirl control monitor. The voltage should be low (less than 0.5 volts) at idle, and increase to at least 2.5 volts when the engine is over 3000 RPM.

If it did not, check the Brown/White (BN/WH) wire for 5 volts and the Gray/Red (GY/RD) wire for ground at the swirl control monitor.

If Vehicle Reference Voltage (VREF) and ground are good, check the White (WH) wire from the monitor to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) pin #8. If OK, replace the monitor.

If you need to replace the actuator, you have to remove the upper intake manifold plenum:

graphic
View Full Image

you cant tell by the diagram, but you actually have to remove the intake manifold in order to reach it and replace it. here are directions to remove the intake manifold:

2.3L Engine
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.

2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.

3. Drain the cooling system.

4. Properly discharge the air conditioning system.

5. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Negative battery cable

• Water outlet tube.

• Water outlet tube.

NOTE

The alternator will be removed with the accessory bracket.

• Accessory bracket.

• Coolant hose from the thermostat.

• Coolant hose from the EGR valve.

• Coolant tube assembly.

• Block heater (if so equipped).

• Water outlet.

• EGR valve.

• Idle air control (IAC) valve.

• Throttle position (TP) sensor.

• Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor.

• Swirl control valve monitor electrical connector.

• Electric thermostat.

• Swirl control valve.

• CMP sensor electrical connector and disconnect the PCV hose from the intake manifold.

• Engine wiring harness pin-type retainers from the intake manifold.

• Engine wiring harness connector bracket. Position the engine wiring harness aside.

• EGR tube.

• Fuel supply line clip from the front of the intake manifold. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the intake manifold.

• Intake manifold assembly.

2.3L
      View Full Image

2.3L engine intake manifold bolts

Click to Enlarge
  6. Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18Nm). There is no special torque sequence.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

The code P2004 indicates the swirl control valve is stuck open and cleaning the intake may resolve you issue but in some cases its a bad vacuum line or actuator.

graphic

2.3L Engine

2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.

3. Drain the cooling system.

5. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Negative battery cable

• Water outlet tube.

• Water outlet tube.

NOTE

• Accessory bracket.

• Coolant hose from the thermostat.

• Coolant hose from the EGR valve.

• Coolant tube assembly.

• Block heater (if so equipped).

• Water outlet.

• EGR valve.

• Idle air control (IAC) valve.

• Throttle position (TP) sensor.

• Electric thermostat.

• Swirl control valve.

• EGR tube.

• Intake manifold assembly.

2.3L

2.3L engine intake manifold bolts

Click to Enlarge

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Eric, If this isn't the answer, do I get my money back? If it works I'll be glad to pay. :)
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

the code definition I gave you is the factory specific fault code for your specific Ranger and engine size. As long as you do the diagnostics I gave you, you will be able to find the problem with the swirl control valve and resolve it. most of the time it is either sticking and can be resolved with cleaning the intake, a broken/cracked/split vacuum hose, or a faulty actuator. maybe one out of a hundred will be a short/open in the wiring harness.

If, after doing all the diagnostics given, you still have this problem. you can either ask for more help, which I will provide at no further charges until problem is resolved, or ask for a refund.

Remember to erase the fault code with your snap on scanner after repairing the problem