someguy_78
someguy_78, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have an associate degree in the Ford A.S.S.E.T. program. I am master certified.13 years experience
19718845

Ford Explorer How can I disengage the anti-theft locked on

How can I disengage the anti-theft locked on a 2004 Ford Explorer?

Hi. There is no way to bypass the anti theft system. If the theft light is blinking rapidly when you turn key on then yes that is your issue.

Scott

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, but saying there is no way to bypass means what? Junk the car? What does one do? Dealer? Local shop can reset something, maybe?
Absolutely don't "junk the car". A dealer could easily remedy this for you. A local shop doesn't have the diagnostic equipment to access security access in order to repair the truck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, to understand you, the answer to how to reset the truck's anti-theft device so the engine will start is to take it to the dealer and not to our usual shop? There's nothing wrong with the car but it's decided not to allow us and we will have to pay the dealer to reset it? This isn't sarcasm and no offense meant, but this sounds incredulous to us and we just want to make sure we understand we've hit a brick wall on this.

It's not resetting really. You have a fault in the system. It could be the key or the transponder that reads the key. If you have a spare key you can try that one first before towing it to the dealer. There is a chip in the key that the transponder (located under the steering column) reads and allows the truck to start.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last thing: do you think trying to replace the chip key (not cheap, we know) could be a lot more cost effective than letting the dealer sit on it for a few hours?
The problem is you can't just replace the key. It has to be programmed to your vehicle by the dealer. So if you go to a local store and have a key cut, it won't work. It must be programmed.