Bob
Bob, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair
50732288

1985 ford ltd crown victoria: ignition module..coil..voltage

I have 1985 ford ltd crown victoria,302,fuel injected,cannot seem to get any fire from ignition system.The coil,ignition module,the pick-up coil in distrib. and still no fire,have voltage at coil primary side. Short of two sticks and a butane lighter,how can I get this thing to fire?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Bob :

Hello, this is Bob. I will do my best to assist you.

Bob :

I assume that the distributor shaft is turning, correct?

Customer:

yes it is

Bob :

Do you have a test light or a volt meter?

Customer:

yes I do

Customer:

Have both

Customer:

I have voltage at primary side of coil

Bob :

Ok, do you have power to the igniton module?

Bob :

Also do you have battery voltage to the red wire that goes to the fuel injectors with the key ON?

Customer:

yes I have voltage at both with key on 11.87 volts

Bob :

There should be battery voltage at the igntion module red/light green wire with key ON. in the diagram I traced the power flow in red and the blue should have battery voltage when cranking the engine over.

Bob :

Orange/white wire should have 5 volts with the key On. Do you have that?

Customer:

the color code on the schematic does not match what I have on this auto,top to bottom looking at the module connector installed I have : 1) Blue

Customer:

1) Blue 2) Yellow 3)Red/purple tracer 4)Red 5)Yellow/Blue tracer 6)Black #5) Yellow/blue,has 11.87 volts key on, 4.87volts cranking

Bob :

If wire colors don't match then use this diagram.

Bob :

Your battery votlage seems low, can you charge the battery?

Bob :

The red/ purple should be hot when cranking the engine. You have power to yellow/blue which is the run circuit.

Bob :

Also check to make sure the ground to the ignition module is good.

Customer:

Ground is good at module,I have power during cranking on the red/purple

Bob :

Are you checking for spark at the coil or the spark plugs?

Bob :

Also did you check to see if you have 5 volts at the orange/white wire at the throttle position sensor with the key On.

Customer:

checking at coil, voltage at the orange/white with key on is 1.17volts

Bob :

What about voltage on the orange/white wire at the throttle position sensor, you should have 5 volts with the key ON?

Bob :

Trying to see if the engine computer is powered up and sending out vloltage.

Bob :

Customer:

at coil, so i need a PCM/

Customer:

?

Bob :

Just trying to see if we missed something. So you have no spark at the coil wire, correct?

Bob :

You said you check voltage on the orange/white wire at the coil, I asked for voltage on orange/white wire at the Throttle Position Sensor, which should be 5 volts. Did you put coil in error instead of TPS?

Bob, Ford Technician
Experience: 23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair