Bob
Bob, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair
50732288

ford ranger manual transmission will not shift into gear.

manual transmission will not shift into gear. it feels like the shift lever is locked out. if you wait about ten seconds or wiggle it just right sometimes it will eventually drop into 1st gear. once moving second gear will drop in if you wiggle the shift lever a little. 3rd and forth drop in fine once moving. the truck has brand new clutch flywheel (pressure plate) throw out bearing slave AND master cylinder. everything is installed properly and bled properly. looking through inspection i ca
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Bob :

Hello, this is Bob. I will do my best to assist you.

Bob :

If the engine is not running will it shift into gear?

Customer:

yes it shifts fine with engine off

Bob :

Does the clutch pedal feel normal, like it is working properly?

Customer:

yes. when it does shift the pedal feels fine clutch feels fine. i can look through the inspection hole in bell housing and see slave pushing in and out just the way its spose to

Bob :

Did you have the pilot bearing replaced when the clutch was replaced?

Customer:

yep

Customer:

i did all the work myself

Customer:

truck was running fine for first week. this didnt start til a week after i put all this stuff in. the fallowing is new: clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throw out bearing slave cylinder, master cylinder and lines,pilot bearing

Bob :

Sound like the clutch is not disengaging all the way. Only a few things it could be. 1) not enough travel from the slave cylinder to disengage, 2) pilot bearing is dry or binding causing input shaft of trans to turn or 3) the clutch disc came apart and is causing input shaft to turn. you may need to pull the trans back out to inspect to see which of these ia causing the problem.

Bob :

Have you tried starting it in first gear with the clutch depressed? Does it feel like the vehicle wants to move ahead while cranking the engine?

Customer:

it does tend to wanna move forward sometimes. when in first even though clutch is in

Customer:

customer is going to drop truck off in an hour. shouldnt take me more than an hour to have the tranny out. i'll let ya know what i findin a few hours. thanks

Bob :

Sounds good.

Customer:

ok i have everything out. this clutch is only 4 months old and yet it looks pretty thin. there is heat marks across the center of it like its gotten pretty hot. pilot bearing looks good and turns freelyslave cylinder looks good as does throw out bearing. what kinda things should i be looking for

Customer:

another 32nd of an inch and the clutch will be down to rivets

Bob :

Seems like alot of wear for 4 months old. Does the flywheel and pressure plate look like they got hot too?

Bob :

Clutch disc slides freely on the input shaft?

Customer:

ok the heat marks on the clutch are factory. i just had new clutch delivered and its the seem heat marks on it as the old one. and it actually is just as thin. im replaceing anyway. so that leaves pilot bearing or slave cylinder. also i forgot to mention, when the truck first starts cold in the morning and you put it in gear engine off and then start the engine it does creep forward with clutch depressed. but after driving around for awhile it eventually stops doing that once it warms up. only does it in the mornings. dont know if that akes a difference

Bob :

Then it seems like the slave is not traveling far enough to completely disengage the clutch. The master cylinders on these can be tough to bleed because the fliud enters at the bottom of the cylinder. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you installed it?

Bob :

If there is any air in the system you will not have enough travel.

Customer:

believe me i bled this thing for days. im all to familiar with em now, also the customer took it to a few other places to have it bled also thinking that was all it needed. im curious about somethiing else. when i put the pressure plate on and tighten the bolts. the fingers draw in a little as the bolts tighten. is that normal?

Customer:

oh and yes i did bench bleed

Bob :

Yes it is normal for the clutch fingers to draw in as you tighten the bolts down.

Bob :

Did you bleed the master cylinder out with it upside down?

Bob :

I leave the slave cylinder line attached to the master cylinder clamp the reservoir in a vise and tip the master so the lines are up and the air can get out.

Bob :

If others have tried to bleed this out they may have gotten more air in than out. If I were you I would bleed it again to make sure the air is out.

Customer:

i just changed everything and it seems to be good. unfortunately since i changed EVERY thing. i'll never know which one it actually was. bleed wasnt to bad this time around. like you said. as long as i bled the master cylinder first. customer just came and got. i wanna thank you very much and i hope to use you again in the future. are you good with all transmissions?

Bob :

I worked on Fords until 2002 and did everything but alignments. Did many clutches and tranny overhauls. So anything 2000 or older I can help with.

Bob :

Thank You for using Just Answer. Please click the Accept Answer button so that I can get paid and also leave positive feedback. Thanks again.

Bob, Ford Technician
Experience: 23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair