Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2006 ford f250: the inst cluster radio and power window quit working

I have a 2006 ford f250 sd 6.0l the inst cluster radio and power window quit working for a while I here click on the driver lower side of insterment pannel and every thing starts workig again
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The radio and power window share the same accessory delay relay, which is probably having intermittant issues, double check the wiring and the connectors, but most likely the relay is starting to fail.

See system wiring diagrams below.

Power windows

graphic

Radio

graphic

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is this relay located in fuse pannel under steering colum?

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Yes that is correct. The relay is located in the CJB (Central Junction Box) or otherwise known as the interior fuse panel. (see diagram below).

graphic

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this relay controls windows and radio but inst cluster still function with out it my cluster goes down when radio and windows quit ?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The instrument cluster also uses the same relay, (see diagram below). Inspect the connectors and the wiring for any corrosion or damage.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes Iam aware cluster uses same relay but when i remove relay cluster stays workiing windows and radio are inoprative
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is with the cluster itself, below are the relay test procedures, if you need I can send additional test procedures for the radio, instrument cluster and power windows.

The Delayed Accessory Is Inoperative

Normal Operation

The delayed accessory relay coil receives power from the battery saver relay through circuit 54 (LG/YE) whenever the ignition is in the RUN or ACCESSORY position. The battery saver relay is integral to the instrument cluster (IC). The IC simultaneously activates the battery saver and the delayed accessory relays by grounding the relay coils when the ignition switch is in the RUN or ACCESSORY position. The IC grounds the delayed accessory relay through circuit 1332 (LB). The delayed accessory relay will remain active for 10 minutes after the ignition is turned OFF, or until a door is opened. When the delayed accessory relay is active, power is sent to the audio system, roof opening panel, power sliding window and power window system.

Possible Causes
  • Open in circuit 1332 (LB) or 54 (LG/YE)
  • Delayed accessory relay
  • IC
PINPOINT TEST F: THE DELAYED ACCESSORY IS INOPERATIVE
Test StepResult / Action to Take
F1 CHECK VOLTAGE TO THE ACCESSORY DELAY RELAY
  • Disconnect: Accessory Delay Relay C2075.
  • Measure the voltage between accessory delay relay pin 30, harness side and ground.

graphic
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to F2.

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
F2 CHECK VOLTAGE TO THE ACCESSORY DELAY RELAY FROM THE BATTERY SAVER RELAY
  • Using the scan tool, trigger the IC battery saver relay active command.
  • Measure the voltage between accessory delay relay C2075-85, harness side and ground.

graphic
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to F3.

No
GO to F4.
F3 CHECK INSTRUMENT CLUSTER (IC)
  • Measure the resistance between accessory delay relay C2075-86, harness side and ground.

graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 30 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new accessory delay relay. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
GO to F5.
F4 CHECK CIRCUIT 54 (LG/YE) FOR AN OPEN
  • Disconnect: IC C220a.
  • Measure the resistance between accessory delay relay C2075-85, harness side and IC C220a-25, circuit 54 (LG/YE) harness side.

graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
REFER to Section 417-01 to diagnose the battery saver relay. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
F5 CHECK CIRCUIT 1332 (LB) FOR AN OPEN
  • Disconnect: IC C220b.
  • Measure the resistance between accessory delay relay C2075-86, harness side and IC C220b-4, circuit 1332 (LB) harness side.
graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes
REFER to Section 417-01

to diagnose the battery saver relay. TEST the system for normal operation.

No

Normal Operation

Under normal operation, the instrument cluster (IC) grounds the accessory delay relay through circuit 1332 (LB). Power is sent to the LH front window control switch through circuit 400 (LB/BK) from the accessory delay relay. The LH front window control switch is grounded through circuit 57 (BK).

Possible Causes
  • Fuse
  • Open in circuits 400 (LB/BK), 57 (BK) or 1332 (LB)
  • Accessory delay relay
  • Battery saver relay
  • CJB
  • Inoperative IC
  • Inoperative LH front window control switch