CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

ford excursion 2000 ford excursion multible cylinder misfires.

Customer Question

2000 ford excursion multible cylinder misfires. i changed the tps, looked for vacume leaks and still nothing. ( changed the tps per not responding at any rpm per code reader) i am now at a loss and truck runs like crap. 6.8l v10
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is Kyle and I will be helping you with your question today.

Very common on the 4.6L, 5.4L and 6.8L motors is too have 1 or multipe ignition coils go bad cauing the misfire. If you know what cylinders are misfiring, you can try swapping the coils from cylinder to cylinder too see if the misfire changes. If you do not know, you will either have to buy a new coils and just install them or have a local garage use a scan tool and tell you exactly which cylinders are misfiring. Sometimes it is not a bad idea just too change all teh coils at onece as eventually they will all need to be replaced. Coils can range in price from $30-100 depending on where you buy them from.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i know its not the coils as the cylinder misfires change cylinders everytime i read the codes. i have have 6 diffrent cylinders misfiring. when i am at a higher speed and higher gear it seems so much worse but when i flore it things seem ok. i paid $15 bucks to the last guy on here to tell me to change the tps and that did nothing. last time i had this problem i had to clean the mas air flow sensor and the problem went away. i did that this time and nothing changed.

The TPS would not cause a misfire so I do not know why they told you that. What i can tell you is I have probably replace over 1000 coils for misfire problems. Sometimes the car needs 1, sometimes 3 or replacing all 8 or 10 is not uncommon either.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I changed 7 coils and truck still runs the same. It is not getting worse nor better. what about the egr? if there is a leak will that cause this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2000 Ford Excursion 6.8L V10 when the engine is running, I hear a slight tapping or ticking sound? It is soft but is fairly noticable and increases with engine speed. I have read many forums and several peoply are having/had this problem but nothing is said about what they did to fix it.
I would try disconnecting the Mass Air Flow Sensor with the vehicle running, If it gets better, the sensor is bad. The same with the EGR. Remove the vacuum line and plug with your finger to see if it runs any better.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have now changed the mas air flow sensor, tps, all plugs, all cops, fuel filter, a small hand full of vacume lines, I have no egr on this truck, the ticking noise that sounds like an exhost leak is coming from the oil pan and bell housing. I have worked on this problem and have spent lots of cash at this point and the problem still here. ???